starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Love Deadlifts...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    I sort of thing that’s always the case. You take one idea, try it out. Don’t change anything else and over a few workouts see if it was effective for you or not. Follow the same process with the next idea. If you experiment and change more than one thing at a time you’ll have no way to judge what works and what does not.
    People rarely spend enough time trying one specific thing before they abandon it and move to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    People rarely spend enough time trying one specific thing before they abandon it and move to the next.
    Lucky me, I started lifting too late in life. Plus I’m too old and too weak to change things too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    Lucky me, I started lifting too late in life. Plus I’m too old and too weak to change things too much.
    From my experience its the older lifter who is more willing to dedicate the time necessary to a program to see real results, the younger lifters tend to bounce around a lot.

Thanks for posting this link, Shug. It is always good to read different perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    From my experience its the older lifter who is more willing to dedicate the time necessary to a program to see real results, the younger lifters tend to bounce around a lot.
    Right, that's what I mean. It's very humbling to realize the clock is ticking and nobody gets to change the batteries. Time becomes the most valuable asset you own so you need to be very wise about how you use it. They put out a lot of good info for free, I swear I think bought something like that from them a year or so back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I haven't read it yet, but don't just dismiss it out of hand. If you got Rip, Mike T, Ed Coan, and Kirk Karwoski in a room to discuss deadlifts, you'd get contradictions there too. That doesn't mean it's a useless discussion, just that they don't view things the same way, or have the same priorities or experiences. Look for the commonalities, not the differences.
    yeah, but it way too much info, and the context varies.
    Different people need different cues and what not.
    When to apply what. Its total information overload.

I briefly skimmed through, closed it when I saw "squat the weight up".

I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to training.
    I guess its nice to see different accomplished lifters "takes" on things.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    yeah, but it way too much info, and the context varies.
    Different people need different cues and what not.
    When to apply what. Its total information overload.

I briefly skimmed through, closed it when I saw "squat the weight up".

I consider myself pretty open minded when it comes to training.
    I guess its nice to see different accomplished lifters "takes" on things.
    Agreed. Some of the advice was conflicting and cues for each person are context-dependent. So much noise it's hard to pull something useful out of that article.

There is something in there for everyone. I cant help it if you boys don't love Deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Its total information overload.
    That's the same reason I hear from people who don't want to read Starting Strength. Sounds lazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Some of the advice was conflicting and cues for each person are context-dependent.
    I would be amazed if you could get a group of people together and not have this be the case. Sure, you can minimize that by asking a bunch of people from the same school of thought (say... Starting Strength coaches, for example), but other perspectives can give new information and cues that work for you. I've gotten useful info from articles/videos by Ed Coan, Pete Rubish, Mark Bell, Izzy, and Les (Callador), despite being different from how it's presented in The Book.

starting strength coach development program
    Due to the context (the article being presented as a round-table, for instance) you'd expect a wide range of pointers and it not to be overly specific, no?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast