starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Love Deadlifts...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You guys know Gibbs has been doing some Sumo recently, right?

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    I seem to recall Brett Gibbs is known for publicly disdaining juiced powerlifters, he refused to shake the hand of a dude who won over him at a meet who had been caught a few years earlier, so he maybe wouldn't acknowledge your example.

Though to be fair, since the evidence apparently shows a steroid cycle offers you lifetime benefits for strength acquisition, getting caught for steroids should logically result in a lifetime ban in tested feds.
    It needs to be noted that people respond to PEDs differently. Some get more out of them than others, there is not one clear way to show if one lifter is using and other don't.

This whole steroid thing is pretty complex and difficult subject. Judging and banning is just naive and causes more problems than fixes (similar topic to guns, drugs, prostitution and all the other vices people have). I understand that natural lifter feels frustrated because someone has benefits that he/she has not, but we must remember that steroids aren't everything. "Well, he uses" is the most lame excuse to downplay someones success in sport. With the same logic we could downplay someone since he/she has good leverages and genetics (Michael Phelps as an example).

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmm View Post
    "Well, he uses" is the most lame excuse to downplay someones success in sport. With the same logic we could downplay someone since he/she has good leverages and genetics (Michael Phelps as an example).
    I hate this example. Taking drugs that are against the rules you've agreed to compete under and simply having good genetics are not equivalent. While we're at bad examples, here's one: If someone beats me in a foot race because they're riding a bike, is it downplaying their success to say "well, he's riding a bike"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I hate this example. Taking drugs that are against the rules you've agreed to compete under and simply having good genetics are not equivalent. While we're at bad examples, here's one: If someone beats me in a foot race because they're riding a bike, is it downplaying their success to say "well, he's riding a bike"?
    Don't be jealous of my bike-having genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    People like to over estimate the advantage what one gets from the drugs. They don't add 50lbs to your total or give wings (or wheels?).

Of course its wrong someone breaks the rules with usings drugs. Problem is that we can not do much about it, majority of elites use and we have zero possibilities point out excactly who uses and who dont. We're already moving towards more efficient methods, such as genetic manipulation. What we do then when the majority of athletes are genetically modified individuals?

All I'm trying to point out that people like to use drugs as a superb demon in the lifting world which can be taken away easily, when in reality the situation is pretty tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Although impressive, I could never relate to geared liters. You never know how much the suits add... raw all the way.
    Don't worry, Wierzbicki did this entirely for the lolz. He normally is a raw competitor. I believe he ironically did this with a raw bench and squat, despite those getting much more assistance from a suit. But I suppose when no fucks are given...

I wonder where he would be if he went untested.

People like to over estimate the advantage what one gets from the drugs. They don't add 50lbs to your total
    HAHAHA! That's a funny joke!

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    HAHAHA! That's a funny joke!
    Well, not directly. If Frank the Forumposter deadlifts 575lbs and start using PEDs, he does not suddenly jump to 600lbs. You get more out from the volume you're doing and recover little better. You still need to do all the same shit than before to get better.
    Last edited by Cmmm; 08-13-2017 at 06:01 AM.

Well, not directly. If Frank the Forumposter deadlifts 575lbs and start using PEDs, he does not suddenly jump to 600lbs. You get more out from the volume you're doing and recover little better. You still need to do all the same shit than before to get better.
    The difference in training time, effort and program complexity for a lifter to go from 575 to 600 with and without steroids is non-trivial

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    The difference in training time, effort and program complexity for a lifter to go from 575 to 600 with and without steroids is non-trivial
    Yeah

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast