starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: If You Love Deadlifts...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I agree the grip is certainly part of it...I don't agree the flex is 0 to do with it, especially as lifters get stronger, otherwise Lifters who pull with straps (Strongmen, mostly) wouldn't seem to be pulling more on the Deadlift Bar than a normal one...but perhaps at 900lbs plus we wouldn't be disagreeing about the flex anyways?

And, by the way, I certainly don't like people saying "Using X adds Y pounds to the bar" - like it's THE LAW - under almost any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    I agree the grip is certainly part of it...I don't agree the flex is 0 to do with it, especially as lifters get stronger, otherwise Lifters who pull with straps (Strongmen, mostly) wouldn't seem to be pulling more on the Deadlift Bar than a normal one...but perhaps at 900lbs plus we wouldn't be disagreeing about the flex anyways?

And, by the way, I certainly don't like people saying "Using X adds Y pounds to the bar" - like it's THE LAW - under almost any circumstances.
    Strongman competitors are different because they can hitch. The flex can be used to "pop" the bar up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Strongman competitors are different because they can hitch. The flex can be used to "pop" the bar up.
    Yeah, I know they can hitch...I'm talking about unhitched ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Yeah, I know they can hitch...I'm talking about unhitched ones.
    Even in the unhitched ones, strongman sometimes uses even longer bars with larger plates typically stacked out to the end of the bar. This isn't always the case, since some of the deadlift ladder events are on normal DL bars using calibrated kilo plates.

As you mentioned, the benefit of the bar based solely on starting height of the pull ranges quite a bit. If you have a lifter using super sumo (something you can only do on a 7.5' bar), and they grab it near the middle, they will be getting a bigger advantage than someone like me that grabs the bar on the power rings and pulls conventional. Sumo is typically weakest off the floor, and most don't "rip" the bar off the floor. They slowly squeeze it up, which again probably offers some kind of advantage. For the guys who grip and rip, probably not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmm View Post
    People like to over estimate the advantage what one gets from the drugs. They don't add 50lbs to your total or give wings (or wheels?).
    You're right... If you're only getting 50lbs then you should really get your gear tested...

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Greg Nuckols famously came up with a 10% estimate for how much gains you can get from steroids.
    He really, really didn't. I've seen that exact figure pop up as far back as the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    shitty Titex bar
    Oh, do go on. Are they really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    He really, really didn't. I've seen that exact figure pop up as far back as the 70's.
    It is also worth keeping it in context: that number is in regards to your total in a competitive sense, in relation to a weight class. As he says, steroids is probably going to mean at least one weight class jump, so your relative performance is at least somewhat curtailed. In terms of absolute gains? He has made clear it is much greater.

I think I get maybe 20-25 lbs out from a deadlift bar compared to a decent quality regular gym bar. The main advantage to me is an easier grip, as the bar is thinner with a more aggressive knurling.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    Oh, do go on. Are they really that bad?
    Yeah. Everyone I know who has competed with one has said the same. The knurling is too soft and they don't "feel" as good as the Eleiko and OPBs.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I think I get maybe 20-25 lbs out from a deadlift bar compared to a decent quality regular gym bar. The main advantage to me is an easier grip, as the bar is thinner with a more aggressive knurling.
    Howbadah, two competitive lifters in this thread saying the same thing I've been saying.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678