starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbell Whip Differences?

Default Barbell Whip Differences?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What difference does the "whippiness" of a barbell make with the typical power lifts?

I can see why Olympic lifters would want some whip, the lifts are a lot faster and it helps propel the weight upward, but from what I've seen bars that are listed as deadlift bars seem to have more whip than, say, bars geared toward squats. I'd think the weights bouncing up and down would be problematic, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    What difference does the "whippiness" of a barbell make with the typical power lifts?

I can see why Olympic lifters would want some whip, the lifts are a lot faster and it helps propel the weight upward, but from what I've seen bars that are listed as deadlift bars seem to have more whip than, say, bars geared toward squats. I'd think the weights bouncing up and down would be problematic, no?
    More whip on deadlift bars means the weights leave the floor when the bar is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    More whip on deadlift bars means the weights leave the floor when the bar is higher.
    Not much higher. But a 27mm bar is much easier to grip.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Not much higher. But a 27mm bar is much easier to grip.
    This.

Manveer calculated the difference between the Ohio Deadlift Bar and the Ohio Power Bar to be different at the apex of the flex by a mere 0.65" with a 600lb load. To wit, that will be greater than the actual reduced rom due to the location of your grip, which is along the curve of the bar, not it's center, and thus mitigating that deflection by some amount.

27mm is definitely better from a grip perspective though, for sure.

OK, that makes sense. Ticker bar for squats so it doesn't flex and you don't grip it anyway, thinner for deadlifts so it's easier to grip.

All I've ever used so far have been the bars at my gym, I'm kinda looking forward to equipping my garage gym and seeing if better equipment makes a difference.

I think I can squat maybe 10lbs more with an olympic vs a power bar, assuming I've been using the bar for the past few sessions. I think the whip can help a little with rebound in the hole, if you're used to it.

Of course if I could actually squat some reasonably heavy weight I could see how whip could cause walk out or balance problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    This.

Manveer calculated the difference between the Ohio Deadlift Bar and the Ohio Power Bar to be different at the apex of the flex by a mere 0.65" with a 600lb load. To wit, that will be greater than the actual reduced rom due to the location of your grip, which is along the curve of the bar, not it's center, and thus mitigating that deflection by some amount.

27mm is definitely better from a grip perspective though, for sure.
    I think I've pulled on a deadlift bar once, but it wasn't with a heavy weight. I feel like I can set up better with more give in the bar... just something about the feedback that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by oshirok View Post
    I think I can squat maybe 10lbs more with an olympic vs a power bar, assuming I've been using the bar for the past few sessions. I think the whip can help a little with rebound in the hole, if you're used to it.

Of course if I could actually squat some reasonably heavy weight I could see how whip could cause walk out or balance problems.
    Squatting with a whippy bar and/or wide plates is terrible. 0/10 would not recommend.

I purchased an Okie Deadlift Bar about a year ago. I pulled 505 with it the first time I used it, but I really don't care for it. I have only used it 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I purchased an Okie Deadlift Bar about a year ago. I pulled 505 with it the first time I used it, but I really don't care for it. I have only used it 3 times.
    Did it allow you to pull more? What were you pulling on a 29mm bar?

I've pulled a few random near-max reps on the Texas Deadlift Bar. Just felt weird to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Did it allow you to pull more? What were you pulling on a 29mm bar?

I've pulled a few random near-max reps on the Texas Deadlift Bar. Just felt weird to me.
    I don't believe it helped me pull more. I've pulled 515 on my old John Kuc PA Power Bar. (it's stiff)
    I would actually like to sell the Okie if I didn't have to bother with shipping it.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 06-23-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast