starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to sweatpants for deadlifting?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    So I guess real men deadlift with bare shins. But I bet some of you aren't confessing that your wives rub baby powder all over your shins first :P
    So does shaving the legs increase or reduce friction?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    Use the barbell to shave your legs: Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    Increases. My wife has to use baby powder on her thighs a lot more often than I do. I'm on team no-shin-protection (with narrow stance to stay in the smooth).

Even when I take a wide stance the bar rarely contacts my shins (very much on purpose)...when my shins do get beaten up (and they do from time-to-time) I know I'm not setting up and / or lifting in the way I'd like.

I don't have much hair on my lower legs (front or back) due to abrading them over the years with the barbell, however.

Confession, I had my wife hem all my lifting shorts for me, so that they are a couple inches above me knee. Not quite 70's big short, but now they don't snag on my knees when squatting, and feel less hot than they did before. ...
    Sound like you might need these..
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ranger-panties

Looks like knee high socks is the forum favorite. Next question, does cotton or polyester feel 'cooler' to wear, since the whole point of switching from sweat pants to shorts and socks is to not feel as hot.

Confession, I had my wife hem all my lifting shorts for me, so that they are a couple inches above me knee. Not quite 70's big short, but now they don't snag on my knees when squatting, and feel less hot than they did before. I even wear sleeveless shirts on occasion in my garage now, and not just my white Costco undershirts. Those undershirts sure are nice for wiping sweat off your face. Speaking of Costco, I bet they have some amazing deals on knee high socks. I could probably buy a dozen for the cost of two on amazon.
    You can't hem your own shorts?

Looks like knee high socks is the forum favorite. Next question, does cotton or polyester feel 'cooler' to wear, since the whole point of switching from sweat pants to shorts and socks is to not feel as hot.

Confession, I had my wife hem all my lifting shorts for me, so that they are a couple inches above me knee. Not quite 70's big short, but now they don't snag on my knees when squatting, and feel less hot than they did before. I even wear sleeveless shirts on occasion in my garage now, and not just my white Costco undershirts. Those undershirts sure are nice for wiping sweat off your face. Speaking of Costco, I bet they have some amazing deals on knee high socks. I could probably buy a dozen for the cost of two on amazon.
    Your shorts used to be below the knee?

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    You can't hem your own shorts?
    Nope. Was never trained in the use of a sewing machine. Fortunately, my wife really enjoys sewing projects, so she doesn't mind hemming my shorts for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Your shorts used to be below the knee?
    They were just below the knee cap, which meant they snagged a lot when squatting. Got them because they were cheap at Academy Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Sound like you might need these..
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ranger-panties
    I don't think a man has the right to wear those till he has 30" thighs that are somewhat lean. I've got three more inches to grow. Random factoid, when I first started the process of gaining weight in 2012, my thighs were 18" and my waist was 29". So, just a couple more inches and my thighs will be size that my waist used to be :P

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I've never deadlifted with anything other than bare shins. Narrow stance, smooth part of the bar against my legs. That helps I guess but the contact is pretty minimal anyway.
    ^this

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast