starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotational Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    1) How are you not biased about this?
    Because I also threw shot, hammer, and weight, obviously. I am a multi-cultured man.

Yeah, well I wasn't exactly exposed to big loads there. The fact that soccer even managed to produce soreness in rotational muscles indicates to me that just training the normal barbell movements may leave some holes, your interpretation may be different.

I'm not even saying rotational training is useful, but when we consider the amount of ways the body can move, it's pretty fucking obvious that normal barbell training is biasing training of certain muscles and movements over others. And even if that bias is correct for 99% of human activities, I'm not arrogant enough to assume some fucked up exercises aren't sometimes prudent.

Another one popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Yeah, well I wasn't exactly exposed to big loads there. The fact that soccer even managed to produce soreness in rotational muscles indicates to me that just training the normal barbell movements may leave some holes, your interpretation may be different.

I'm not even saying rotational training is useful, but when we consider the amount of ways the body can move, it's pretty fucking obvious that normal barbell training is biasing training of certain muscles and movements over others. And even if that bias is correct for 99% of human activities, I'm not arrogant enough to assume some fucked up exercises aren't sometimes prudent.
    My interpretation is that you didn't listen to the podcast or read the article, because it pretty thoroughly explains why doing an activity to which you're not accustomed would produce soreness in certain muscles regardless of how strong those muscles are.

Right. Like 200 air squats would make you sore even if you squat heavy.

Rotational deadlifts seem like a great way to herniate a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    A totally safe exercise is pretty much useless for building strength.
    bench press

Going back to op's original question...

Cable Twist

Grab some heavy magnets to help increment the weight stack properly.

The traditional barbell movements will strengthen most of the chain and many 'twisting' motions are actually a combination of a 'push' on one side of the body and a 'pull' on the other side of the body.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    My interpretation is that you didn't listen to the podcast or read the article, because it pretty thoroughly explains why doing an activity to which you're not accustomed would produce soreness in certain muscles regardless of how strong those muscles are.
    That is irrelevant, because that doesn't prove that was the reason for the soreness, the soreness could still be produced because muscles that normally don't get used much got used harder than they were used to.

Look, let's say someone is rotating their torso against load, I sincerely doubt a linear progression would come close to maximizing the strength for such a movement pattern for the same reason deadlifts won't increase your grip strength much. Many of the muscles used for rotation are either mostly being trained isometrically for stabilization purposes or through a very limited ROM, so expecting normal barbell training to train every single muscle as effectively as the next one is naive IMO.

Bilateral barbell training being the most useful form of strength training does not make it a panacea for every single type of human movement.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Bilateral barbell training being the most useful form of strength training does not make it a panacea for every single type of human movement.
    Ah, if only it did. That would be handy.

starting strength coach development program
    The theory is that the SS lifts are used to build a foundation of strength across the whole body. You can then do some sport specific training to develop specific skills, but the muscle power behind it all comes from the main lifts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast