starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rotational Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRozon View Post
    The theory is that the SS lifts are used to build a foundation of strength across the whole body. You can then do some sport specific training to develop specific skills, but the muscle power behind it all comes from the main lifts.
    Yup.

And the "rotational" specific programing will vary tremendously across sports.

If anyone is truly interested in this stuff, Bondarachuk probably has the best info on the transfer of specialized exercises to various competitive movements (though his focus is T&F).

The theory is that the SS lifts are used to build a foundation of strength across the whole body. You can then do some sport specific training to develop specific skills, but the muscle power behind it all comes from the main lifts.
    There is no such thing as an SS Lift. SS adopted all of the main exercises in their program, they didn't invent them.
    Every single barbell exercise in existence was invented by someone else long before any of us were even born.
    People really need to look at the history of the Iron Game. If you want to learn something new about training, look to the past.

... And Bondarchuk is a major proponent of a style of training that would consider SS to be a terrible novice program, because it is focused on only one physical quality, when novices are supposed to work generalized programs that develop multiple qualities simultaneously and then continue into more specialized training as they progress in training age.

He also is diametrically opposed to the SS stance that strength is generally transferable from basic, complex lifts to sports activity. Hell, he was one of the first proponents of sports specific strength training.

... so yeah. Interesting guy. But if you read him, do it knowing that this is a guy who cared more about plate holds at arms length than pressing for hammer throwers, and represents the approach that Ripp often derides.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    ... And Bondarchuk is a major proponent of a style of training that would consider SS to be a terrible novice program, because it is focused on only one physical quality, when novices are supposed to work generalized programs that develop multiple qualities simultaneously and then continue into more specialized training as they progress in training age.

He also is diametrically opposed to the SS stance that strength is generally transferable from basic, complex lifts to sports activity. Hell, he was one of the first proponents of sports specific strength training.

... so yeah. Interesting guy. But if you read him, do it knowing that this is a guy who cared more about plate holds at arms length than pressing for hammer throwers, and represents the approach that Ripp often derides.
    Which book/s did you read?

Admittedly I only have read about his training philosophy distilled by others. So if they are grossly misinterpreting his position, I am all ears. But I have seen him associated with, for example, Dr. Yessis, who I know has similar thoughts (one need look no further than 1x20 for that...)

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    I am all ears.
    Cool.

Read his book 'Transfer of Training in Sports'.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    There is no such thing as an SS Lift. SS adopted all of the main exercises in their program, they didn't invent them.
    That's pedantic even by my standards. If he had said "The theory is that the lifts used in SS..." it would mean the same thing. He was describing lifts included in Starting Strength, not invented by Starting Strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    That's pedantic even by my standards.
    What if this were E&P?

And Hanley... sigh, making me devote resources when sports are generally outside my field of care when they aren't strength sports... but fine, I will get back to you on that. Any others I really need to read?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    That's pedantic even by my standards. If he had said "The theory is that the lifts used in SS..." it would mean the same thing. He was describing lifts included in Starting Strength, not invented by Starting Strength.
    Come on, I'm willing to bet there are people here that believe Rip invented the Barbell.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234