starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belt size

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I bought a cheap 4" leather belt off amazon to use while I wait for the nice one to be made. So I guess I will hold off on the purchase of the new nice one until I use the cheap one a few times to see if 4" will be a problem or not.

I'm really trying to no act like a "special snowflake" and think the regular belt won't work for me.... But I also don't want bruised/broken ribs because I didn't account for my bodies 'flaws'. Rib injuries are the worst.
    Just one caution. If it is like the first "cheap" belt I bought and has a piece of plastic sandwiched between two layers of leather it will dig much worse than a good belt would.

Yeah, I have a cheap 3" belt and a Best Belts 4" belt. The cheap belt is much less comfortable, I think because the edges aren't chamfered like on the Best.

I'm 6'1", recently got this belt: https://generalleathercraft.com/prod...lt-by-pioneer/ . I love it! I've had to adjust how I wear the belt since getting it, because of weight gain accompanied by gut growth, and going up a notch on the belt. When squatting, I wear it so that the bottom of the belt is barely over my belly button. Any lower and my belly gets pinched at the bottom of squats.

Down the road I may consider getting a lever 3" or 3.5" for deadlifts.

I used the "cheapo" belt twice now and I'm mostly ok with it. I have a small bruise by the hips and my rib that pokes out is a little sensitive. It's not 'rib breaking' force though, so I'm hoping those areas would just get used to it.

Since a 3" is recommended for deadlifting, I was thinking about just ordering both a 3" and 4" belt from General Leathercraft, and if the 3" ended up working better for squats for me then thats what I would use. However it looks like the deadlifting and thinner belts they have are very different. I think it's just thin leather with no suede. Is there a reason for this? Would there be a disadvantage to me asking them to make the regular powerlifting belt into 3 inches and using that for deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Since a 3" is recommended for deadlifting
    Not true. It's only recommended IF you can't set up properly with a 4". The 4" is actually preferable if you can. Most people can.

However it looks like the deadlifting and thinner belts they have are very different. I think it's just thin leather with no suede. Is there a reason for this? Would there be a disadvantage to me asking them to make the regular powerlifting belt into 3 inches and using that for deadlifts?
    A "10mm" belt from Pioneer is a single piece of 6.5mm sole leather with two layers of ~1.5-2mm each suede. The plain leather belt is the same 6.5mm sole leather, just without the suede. If you want the suede, feel free to order the regular 4" suede belt and in the comments ask for it to be 3".

I strongly recommend reading the first several pages of this thread as all of this and more has been covered in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I strongly recommend reading the first several pages of this thread as all of this and more has been covered in detail.
    Are you referring to my thread when you said "this thread" or did you mean to hyperlink to a different thread?

I used the belt to deadlift yesterday and it FELT AMAZING to be able to push my abs against it. I felt so much more solid. However the last reps were very painful and I have a huge bruise under my rib now. It was digging into the rib hard. So I will definitely need something thats 3" for deadlifting.

EDIT:
    Done deal.

Ordered a Navy double suede 4" belt and a Forest Green double suede 3" belt. Going to need the 3" for deadlifts for sure anyways, so worst case scenario I will have the 4" as a backup.
    Last edited by timelinex; 07-27-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Got both belts in. They are nice and sturdy. Alot stiffer than the off brand belt I've been wearing in the mean time.

At the current time it looks like this is where I'm at:

1. I can wear the 4" belt at a width that I feel a good amount of tension against my trunk when I do a valsalva. I still get bruising in the hip area and by my sticking out rib, but it's tolerable. I can barely force it 1 notch in, but then the pain against my rib becomes intolerable.

2. If I use the 3" belt I can crank it down 1 extra notch without issue. This tighter position does enable me to push harder against the belt (i think) without the pain against my rib. But obviously it's 1" less of support.

Whats the better and more supportive option? Being able to crank it down further to push harder, or having that extra 1" to distribute the possibly less force PSI. Or will it just ultimately be personal preference?

Thanks

Personal preference.

starting strength coach development program
    I think eventually the pain goes away or becomes more tolerable, too. You learn how to tweak position over time. I used to pull with my 3" 6.5 Pioneer belt and wondered how the hell anyone could pull with a 13mm lever belt. And now I pull with a 13mm lever belt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast