starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Second Bar for Home Gym - Opinions?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rogue had the bare steel OPB Boneyard bar for $195 for some time...just checked and it looks like they sold out. If you're patient you can get a nice deal there.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    OPB is nice.

You might also consider a 28mm bar that you could use for fast pulls & that your wife could use for deads (one mm can make a big difference).

I had this & loved it:

https://americanbarbell.com/products...n-training-bar

You could splurge on an Eleiko Sport Training Bar or Rogue Bearing bar.

###

I'm not a fan of Rogue's 28.5 bars.

I was going to suggest an Eleiko bar as they were clearing out demo ones. I picked one up for $580 shipped.

There is a pretty noticeable difference between a 28mm bar and a 29mm bar. I have a DHS training bar (28mm), a B&R bar (29mm) and now an Eleiko training bar (28mm). I am by no means good at the quick lifts but I've noticed a huge difference using the two 28mm bars over the B&R bar or whatever bar I've gotten stuck warming up with at my gym before competitions, which is usually some beat to crap Rogue crossfit bar.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 07-26-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    I need an indoor vacuum for the house. Wood floors and rugs plagued by three cats.
    Nilfisk, Brah

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I was going to suggest an Eleiko bar as they were clearing out demo ones. I picked one up for $580 shipped.

There is a pretty noticeable difference between a 28mm bar and a 29mm bar. I have a DHS training bar (28mm), a B&R bar (29mm) and now an Eleiko training bar (28mm). I am by no means good at the quick lifts but I've noticed a huge difference using the two 28mm bars over the B&R bar or whatever bar I've gotten stuck warming up with at my gym before competitions, which is usually some beat to crap Rogue crossfit bar.
    Did you get the Eleiko bar yet? And was it one of their new released models? I haven't heard any feedback yet on the brand new ones..

Default Made my decision

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thanks to Manveer for letting me drop by and check his OPB out.

I ended up going with the Ohio Power Bar in bare steel. Placed order with Rogue this morning. I think I'll like the more aggressive knurl compared to the B&R. Also picked up a second set of J-cups and a gun rack (looks like another job for an impact driver).

At the end of the day I think we'll get the most utility out of this set-up.

With these two bars as a base, I can pick up a dedicated 28mm training bar for fast lifts in the future that doesn't have to be a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thanks to Manveer for letting me drop by and check his OPB out.

I ended up going with the Ohio Power Bar in bare steel. Placed order with Rogue this morning. I think I'll like the more aggressive knurl compared to the B&R. Also picked up a second set of J-cups and a gun rack (looks like another job for an impact driver).

At the end of the day I think we'll get the most utility out of this set-up.

With these two bars as a base, I can pick up a dedicated 28mm training bar for fast lifts in the future that doesn't have to be a compromise.
    Well there ya go. Wise decision. You won't be disappointed. The bare steel OPB is hard to beat at that price.

Default UPS fail

This is amusing. Received the J-cups and gun rack yesterday, but the OPB is making its way from Columbus, OH to Cincinnati, OH via Hartford, CT.

UPS: "We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay."

Let me get this straight, you had no problems with the 2 packages that look like millions of other packages, but the 7+ foot long 50.20 lb. tube is the one that gets mis-sorted? Nice work, UPS. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_M View Post
    This is amusing. Received the J-cups and gun rack yesterday, but the OPB is making its way from Columbus, OH to Cincinnati, OH via Hartford, CT.

UPS: "We've incorrectly sorted the package at our facility. This may cause at least one business day delay."

Let me get this straight, you had no problems with the 2 packages that look like millions of other packages, but the 7+ foot long 50.20 lb. tube is the one that gets mis-sorted? Nice work, UPS. Nice work.
    I doubt it looks like a tube at this point, more like a qtip.

Dave how are you liking the OPB? I'm in the market for my first bar and pretty much have it narrowed down to the b&r or the OPB. Tell me which one to buy :-)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    b&r or the OPB. Tell me which one to buy :-)
    Buy the B&R. Oly lifts, front squats, RDLs, & snatch grip anything are quite unpleasant on the OPB.

When your dead approaches 600, the knurl on the OPB will prove awesome...so buy the OPB when your dead is around 525-550.

I think the B&R is a much better general purpose bar.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast