starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Second Bar for Home Gym - Opinions?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I think the B&R is a much better general purpose bar.
    I don't like that you're right about this.

OPB sucks for front squats and fast lifts...but the simple solution is to not do them .

OPB is king for back squat, bench, DL. I don't find the knurling overly aggressive. So cheap too - $250.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    So cheap too - $250.
    He should add the OPB after 8-12 months. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Did you get the Eleiko bar yet? And was it one of their new released models? I haven't heard any feedback yet on the brand new ones..
    I've been using it for about a week and a half, I still can't believe it was only $580 (shipped). Yes, it is one of their NxG bars. I got the NxG Performance Weightlifting (couldn't justify another $500 for a competition bar haha). Average Broz gym did a comparison between Eleiko's old line and the NxG, but I can only compare it to an Eleiko competition bar and DHS training bar. It does have one less bearing per sleeve, but it's not something you'd ever notice...at least not something I'll ever notice. The knurling feels just like the competition bar, but just not as sharp. I believe Eleiko uses the same need for the knurl on 12ish bars; first 4 are competition, next for are training, last 4 are their sport training (now performance line). The middle knurling feels much sharper than the DHS one and not as passive as the Eleiko competition's bar, which I thought was odd. It's definitely shaved a few layers of skin/hair off.

A couple of other weightlifters at my gym paid more for their Rogue WL bars and are extremely jealous. I was looking at a Rogue WL bar so I could move my DHS to my basement and keep the new bar locked up at the gym. The Eleiko deal was just too good to pass up and I feel I got a better WL bar. IMO the only bar I've used that has better knurl than the Eleiko Performance WL bar is the B&R bar, but I just sold mine over the weekend as I need to pickup some more plates and possibly those Pound Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Buy the B&R. Oly lifts, front squats, RDLs, & snatch grip anything are quite unpleasant on the OPB.

When your dead approaches 600, the knurl on the OPB will prove awesome...so buy the OPB when your dead is around 525-550.

I think the B&R is a much better general purpose bar.
    I agree with Hanley. My dead is not there yet, but I would reserve the OPB for heavy singles or doubles. The B&R is more comfortable for pulling rep work in my opinion. My wife used the OPB for squats and bench last night without complaint, and we both deadlifted with the B&R.

I'm happy with my set-up, but if you could only have only one all around bar it would be the B&R.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I've been using it for about a week and a half, I still can't believe it was only $580 (shipped). Yes, it is one of their NxG bars. I got the NxG Performance Weightlifting (couldn't justify another $500 for a competition bar haha). Average Broz gym did a comparison between Eleiko's old line and the NxG, but I can only compare it to an Eleiko competition bar and DHS training bar. It does have one less bearing per sleeve, but it's not something you'd ever notice...at least not something I'll ever notice. The knurling feels just like the competition bar, but just not as sharp. I believe Eleiko uses the same need for the knurl on 12ish bars; first 4 are competition, next for are training, last 4 are their sport training (now performance line). The middle knurling feels much sharper than the DHS one and not as passive as the Eleiko competition's bar, which I thought was odd. It's definitely shaved a few layers of skin/hair off.

A couple of other weightlifters at my gym paid more for their Rogue WL bars and are extremely jealous. I was looking at a Rogue WL bar so I could move my DHS to my basement and keep the new bar locked up at the gym. The Eleiko deal was just too good to pass up and I feel I got a better WL bar. IMO the only bar I've used that has better knurl than the Eleiko Performance WL bar is the B&R bar, but I just sold mine over the weekend as I need to pickup some more plates and possibly those Pound Pads.
    Good stuff.. thanks for the follow up and for that link! Sounds like you got a great deal.. that's the same bar I hope to buy when the time comes. It's hard to believe they can make so many improvements. It's really nice to hear the knurling will be a bit more consistent from product to product.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345