starting strength gym
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What *has* Westside done for powerlifting?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Point is that things like steroids can be used safely with a large majority of the population with nearly zero negative side effects if dosed properly and done with medical supervision. Hell, most of the dudes on ridiculous stacks and cycles are in decent health compared to the normal population in their demographic.

Thinking about this more, the current advances in steroid use have led to safer usage. Guys and gals know how often to get their labs done, what to look for, what else to monitor. Maybe Louie and Westside should be commended as such...
    I think you're talking out your ass a bit with this one gilchrest. You'd be surprised by the number of people that heavily use and abuse drugs and don't bother with blood testing or even PCT. And from what I've heard, Westisde is hardly the model for moderate or responsible steroid use.

Last I checked, more than ~1g of caffeine on meet day is supposed to trigger a positive drug test.

Cheater!

I'm surprised you didn't call poison control. That 2-3g range is where people have really really serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Jesus, that's some caffeine. What happened?
    It's not that much more than usual for me at a meet. I usually take 1000-1400mg. 1-2 when I start warming up for squat, 1 right before squat, 1 when I start my bench warmups, 1 when I start bench, 1-2 during deadlift warmups, and possibly 1 more during deadlifts. I was trying to get a bit more out of it, and just happened to find that the limit where it goes from ergogenic to overkill is somewhere between 1400 and 1800, and it's very abrupt. (And looking back, on the off-chance I was drug-tested, I may well have been over whatever the limit is for caffeine)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Dude, that's a lot of caffeine. Mind telling us how the experience was? I'm pretty sure if I had 1/2 that amount my heart would skip beats, I'd get a massive headache, and I'd feel like I was crawling out my skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Sean, what did your heart ever do to you? 1800mg, that's a full on attack against your heart.
    During the lifting I didn't feel that different, just a bit more jittery than normal and a bit too loose. It was just driving my rental car back to the airport after the meet where I really noticed it. Combine 1800mg of caffeine with the adrenaline of the meet wearing off, it being night out, begin in unfamiliar territory, and a couple weird coincidences along the trip, and you get some weird effects. I don't recall whether I had a headache, but I do know I kept getting a very convincing feeling that I was dreaming, even though there was (obviously) nothing concrete to suggest it. I was also pretty close to what I believe was a panic attack, which is a feeling I don't think I've ever had otherwise.

So... yeah. Think I'll stick around 1200mg. Seems to work well. (Despite Izzy calling a gram of caffeine "absurd", I think, in one of his latest videos. Oh well.)

Edit: Oh hey, Izzy replied while I was writing this. Keep in mind it is body-weight dependent, since it's ng/ml or something, and I've been told I'm rather large compared to average.
    Second edit: I looked it up, it's 12 microgram/ml.
    Last edited by Sean Herbison; 07-28-2017 at 12:42 AM.

Was Caffeine on the Banned List back then?

Toxic doses tend to start after 10g I believe...that would be a hell of a way to go.

Damn. 200mg before a meet is too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Was Caffeine on the Banned List back then?
    Caffeine was removed from the banned substance list in 2003, so that people's normal dietary intake would not result in a failed drug test. Instead, they made 12 microgram/ml the allowable upper limit, as no one is going to accidentally hit that by drinking their morning coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    200mg before a meet is too much for me.
    Really? Wow.

meh . . .bodybuilding, "physique" comps., BB media, Zyzz type stuff, teh instagrams, etc . . . has probably led to far far more abuse in the way of PEDs, drugs, etc. than could be attributed to Westside.

High School and College athletics, etc . . . jesus.

Westside is probably is small small piece of the pie.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Half your posts on this site are about how much you freak out at the thought of TRT and steroids.
    That is a lie, which makes you a liar. I'm not even against TRT; if I had dangerously low T levels, I would consider TRT. That decision would be made on a risk/benefit analysis between me, my Dr. and my wife. What I would never do is espouse how TRT is safe and I would never compete in competitive sports if I were on TRT because it would give me an unfair advantage. And I certainly would never come on a public forum and talk about how steroids are safe because we have learned so much about them in the past 100 years.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 07-28-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    How can anyone carefully read anything you post when it's full of incoherent typos?

How about you proofread the garbage you post before hitting the "send reply" button, that way no one has to try and decipher your intended wording before writing you off as a fool.
    Fair point about typos. I shouldn't reply to threads from my phone while watching my daughter playing basketball (and without my reading glasses) , it does distract from my message. However, to recognize typos and use that as an excuse to infuse a completely different meaning into my message is even more foolish than replying with a post that contains typos. My message, even with typos was did not lead anyone down the path towards the conclusions that people infused into the post. That was a phenomenon of the reader's personal bias being injected into their analysis of my statement.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 07-28-2017 at 08:41 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I would never compete in competitive sports if I were on TRT because it would give me an unfair advantage.
    Off topic but,
    From what I understand, there is no "Therapeutical Exception Use" for any kind of androgen, including TRT (WADA & USADA; and therefore IWF,USAW, IPF,USPL).
    So if you go on TRT, and compete is those feds . . . kiss all that goodbye.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast