starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which type of Back Squat puts more stress on the back?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This squat, potentially: Instagram

And the dude who did the same thing and got crushed down to the pins at Barbell Brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    This squat, potentially: Instagram
    looks like a skanky version of chromoly.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Who is arguing that HBBS is more stressful on the low back than LBBS aside from Rip in a video from 2009? Seems obvious that it's not. Mechanically there is a longer moment arm between bar and hips in LBBS. Also, if you've tried both LBBS and HBBS the difference would be apparent.
    I hate jumping in on this stuff, but as several of you guys have noted, the original video was from 2009. Since that time, Rip's thinking on the matter has evolved and I am certain that he would agree that the LBBS puts more mechanical stress on the lumbar spine than a HBBS due to the longer moment arm. When I took the seminar in 2012, they had already moved on from the kind of explanation that he gives in the video and I am almost 100% positive that in re-printings of the 3rd edition of the book, he updated the section where he discusses that to clarify the issue. If you own a copy of the original printing of the 3rd edition (which came out in late 2011), that may not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by John Petrizzo View Post
    I hate jumping in on this stuff, but as several of you guys have noted, the original video was from 2009. Since that time, Rip's thinking on the matter has evolved and I am certain that he would agree that the LBBS puts more mechanical stress on the lumbar spine than a HBBS due to the longer moment arm. When I took the seminar in 2012, they had already moved on from the kind of explanation that he gives in the video and I am almost 100% positive that in re-printings of the 3rd edition of the book, he updated the section where he discusses that to clarify the issue. If you own a copy of the original printing of the 3rd edition (which came out in late 2011), that may not be the case.
    So the take away is:

then you agree that Olympic Lifters should NOT do the LBBS, because all of the "redundant stress" from pulling, snatching, cleaning, and LBBS'ing with the back leant over.

HBBS would then give the low back "a break" whilst working the legs fairly well.

. . . that's my take away.

(I'm just f'ing with you John)

If anything, we all know upper back strength is of prime importance to olympic lifters, so clearly we need to start having them use safety squat bars to get the best of everything. /s

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    So the take away is:

then you agree that Olympic Lifters should NOT do the LBBS, because all of the "redundant stress" from pulling, snatching, cleaning, and LBBS'ing with the back leant over.

HBBS would then give the low back "a break" whilst working the legs fairly well.
    Unless a lifter has no issues with lower back recovery. Then, due to more muscle mass involved and weight used in the low bar it might be superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    If anything, we all know upper back strength is of prime importance to olympic lifters, so clearly we need to start having them use safety squat bars to get the best of everything. /s
    Front squats achieves this while being more specific to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post

Front squats achieves this while being more specific to the sport.
    ^ So then we should be doing clean deadlifts maintaining a straight / ext'd back in lieu of conventional heavy deadlifts then, is that what you saying . . . .because those are more specific to the sport.

Daverin's point is (I think) . . .

. . . some have commented SSB Squats are a motherfucker on the upper back and thoracic 'posturally' . Maybe moreso than front squats.

So the same thing with the conventional deadlift. If it's so potent, you should just being doing that for pulling strength (Rip's idea).
    But its not as specific as clean deadlift or heavy clean fast pulls. . . . so you should be doing that (conv.deadlifts).

So one should SSB to overload that aspect of the clean recovery?

I think he's making a sort of joke / exaggeration of that idea.

I admit I had this inside feeling that his post is not 100% serious. I wasn't really sure though...

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I think he's making a sort of joke / exaggeration of that idea.
    The /s at the end is for sarcasm.

starting strength coach development program

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast