starting strength gym

Thread: if i dont do "good morning" why need hip drive?

Default if i dont do "good morning" why need hip drive?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And if i am pushing with the middle foot ,why its bad?

I think you are confused about the biomechanics here.

You want to push through the middle of your foot. As the weight moves forward or backward from the middle you become less stable.

Hip drive means 'push the weight up with your hips' -- ie the bar should rise as the hips rise. If the hips shoot up faster than the bar you will need to 'good morning' the weight up to lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    If the hips shoot up faster than the bar you will need to 'good morning' the weight up to lockout.
    And it would have to be severe. I mean really severe. The good morning is a completely different exercise, so if someone is damn close to locking their knees before there's any real hip extension, they've got bigger problems to worry about. Otherwise, a little bit of chest fall is NOT the same thing as a good morning. There is no such thing as a "good morning squat."

If someone's chest isn't rising at or near the same pace as the hips, then they need to be cued to keep their chest up or to drive their back into the bar. Whatever cue they need to get their chest rising along with the hips.