Thread: Prowler design Q; J hook design Q

Default Prowler design Q; J hook design Q

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I have 2 Qs.

Prowler: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dr3d3ELTa5uEUip52

I bought the first one. I'm now using a 1m wide track of artificial turf and want a sled that doesn't need to be spun around. What are the main differences between a 4 foot design, and the dual skii design when it comes to use? I'm leaning toward the dual skii design, but I wonder if loading it will ever be an issue. The middle is 45cm and my plates are 6.1cm thick. With what I have I can get 140-160kg (4*25kg; 2-3*20kg) it. Not sure if I'll ever need more than that. But it's a little more compact and both ends look to be the same width (the other looks wider in the back).

J hook:

I wonder if anyone has ever seen a design that mounts side to side rather than front to back on steel tubing. My rack is cut for a smith machine accessory on one end, so that side is essentially useless. It means I have to go under the bar or over the safeties when squatting/benching. I cant flip it around either because I need to stand outside the rack to press.

I've been doing some research on the sled deal lately as well, and it seems that the full length skid might have different drag behavior from the feet, but shouldn't be a problem, just adjust the load as needed. It seems the movable vertical poles would be nice for changing direction and not having to turn the sled around. Also with the middle one (full length skid) there are attachments (Titan, Rogue) so you can do a high or low horizontal push bar if you don't intend on using the uprights, though I don't see a compelling reason to do so unless you need your hands closer together or more pronated.

For the J hooks, can you just rotate your rack or is there a non-movable rear lower cross member? Haven't seen any side mount J-hooks though, sorry.

The reversible handle mounts are a neat idea.
    Esp for guy confined on a narrow astroturf strip.
    I could see how a four pad sled being turned around in a circle (180), the pads could dig it or bunch up on turf/carpet going sideways . . .no aid from the angled lip really, or not as much.

Turning around the sled sucks on round 4-7 when you're at the fringe of barfing.

Well, since I already have a prowler, I won't have to deal with moving the poles. I'll just use all 4 poles and it will make things easier/faster. For me, not having to turn around would help a lot. My strip of turf is 1m wide, my triangle prowler is 0.88m wide. It was very awkward and slow during the last sets, and got stuck under the turf and flipped it over twice (since I roll the turf out downstairs). I don't need handles or attachments. Never really liked the low handles and if I wanna go lower I'll just grip lower on the poles.

So, other than having a little more resistance, no difference between the 4 skid and 2 skid styles? 140-160kg loadable weight with my plates seem like something that'll last me a while? My first time pushing on turf the other day was with 90kg+25kg sled. Maybe could have gone a little heavier if I didn't have to deal with turning it, but I'm not sure....

On that note, why do triangle ones even exist?

Rack:
    Can't use the rack in a sideways position. It has cross members on the bottom. =/ I really wish I knew the back wouldn't be useable before I bought it, heh. Seems like a dumb design if you ask me. Oh well.
    Last edited by Crimmy; 07-27-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Take some photos and accurate measurements of your rack to a good local welding or machine shop and have some custom J hooks made. It really shouldn't cost you much. I had extra spotter arms and j hooks made for my rack for less than the retailer wanted for original equipment. If you're going to be in the U.S., I can recommend Black Widow Training Gear. Black Widow Training Gear (BWTG) They specialize in rack accessories and did good, quick work and shipped it to me in time for me to send it overseas with my stuff. I'm sure you can find a local Chinese shop to make what you need, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Take some photos and accurate measurements of your rack to a good local welding or machine shop and have some custom J hooks made. It really shouldn't cost you much. I had extra spotter arms and j hooks made for my rack for less than the retailer wanted for original equipment. If you're going to be in the U.S., I can recommend Black Widow Training Gear. Black Widow Training Gear (BWTG) They specialize in rack accessories and did good, quick work and shipped it to me in time for me to send it overseas with my stuff. I'm sure you can find a local Chinese shop to make what you need, though.
    That's actually what I want to do. I have to figure out how to find a "good" welder, but more importantly I was hoping there was a commercial product I could mimic. I have some ideas for what I could do, but I'm not really sure how safe they'll be. I'm injured and working back up to a decent squat but I was and hope to get past 400 again.

starting strength coach development program
    I can't help with any existing product or design since I can't really visualize your rack. That said, it really isn't rocket science. Engineering elegance is nice, but absent that, just make it bigger, heavier, and stronger than it could possibly need to be. Welds need to be strong, not pretty.