starting strength gym
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bridge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    Not sure what you mean exactly by working up to a certain wattage first. I don't know anything about conditioning, and when i try to do it I end up hating my life and existence. I tried it for a couple months on the C2 doing 20s sprint/1:40 rest. The best I could do was 1:19/500m times during the sprints. Repeating that several time made me realize that if given the choice between doing C2 sprints regularly or being fat, that being fat was my preferred option. Maybe I'm just a coward.
    Yeah, I've done that a few times and it was definitely "effective" for me.. in that I wanted to die. That being said, if it's not a strong enough stimulus, maybe do 30s sprint/1:30 rest. I doubt anyone would care, ya know.

I wanna see you bitches run a 400m sprint

20 seconds on airdyne = sprint to hell

20 seconds on rower = meh

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    20 seconds? If you worked up to a certain wattage, then started the 20 seconds...maybe.
    This is exactly my experience: I can't reach peak power output with only 20s.

Sure, I'll be in my Nissan Altima.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    This is exactly my experience: I can't reach peak power output with only 20s.
    Exactly. It takes 3-4 strokes to hit that sub 1:20 pace (more strokes if you're being smart), at which point you're halfway done.

If you sustain sub 1:20 for 20 seconds, cool. That'd be awful. That's a different gig.

Edit: anyway, this is all an aside. Jordan & Austin have putout lots of fantastic content. I'm looking forward to reading The Bridge
    Last edited by John Hanley; 08-10-2017 at 11:27 AM.

20 seconds on airdyne = sprint to hell

20 seconds on rower = meh
    No one wants to see me run...trust me.

Jordan & Austin have putout
    You lucky bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    Does anybody know how long "The Bridge" has been out? Just didn't know if it's a brand new thing or it's been out 6 months and I missed it..
    Less than a month, I think.

I've read through it twice so far. Looks interesting, and has a decent amount of volume in it. Don't want to miss out on any hypertrophy GainzZz.

What about my other questions? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    No one wants to see me run...trust me.
    Shirt or no shirt? Oiled? Painted orange with a pink thong?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Less than a month, I think.

I've read through it twice so far. Looks interesting, and has a decent amount of volume in it. Don't want to miss out on any hypertrophy GainzZz.
    You should win that hyper trophy.
    Last edited by Murelli; 08-10-2017 at 11:45 AM.

I started the Bridge last week and have been enjoying it so far. There's definitely a learning curve to RPE, but I don't think it's as extreme as it's made out to be. My way of approaching it so far has been to review the video of my set before rating it and check the bar speed in particular: if it didn't visibly slow down, it's <7; if it slowed down very slightly, it's ~7; if it slowed noticeably, it's ~8; if it actually stopped moving briefly, it's ~9; if it stopped moving for more than a second, it's 9.5-10.

Seeing as it's designed for early intermediates, as long as you're 1) continuing to add weight to the bar each week, and 2) not failing any reps, you're probably close enough on the RPE factor.

starting strength coach development program
    In the second week of it now actually. Week 2's Monday's mid shin rack pull's kind of left me wasted though. It says to do all squat variations (except competition squat) beltless to reduce the stress, but no such words are there for rack pull, and in my auto-mode stupidity I took the belt on and loaded up. I'll assume they're intended to do beltless from now on. Since it's a new exercise I probably overshot the weight a little too (rounding on last set, assume they follow Tusherer's philosophy of that being @10).

Those Mondays do seem pretty harsh though, didn't feel any easier than a TM Monday what with doing both squat volume and rack pull volume. Unless the next weeks get better, I'm a go all YNDTP and switch rack pulls for RDLs/SLDLs/something of similar level stress.

Saw no words in The Bridge guide about adapting the program if it was too high stress either. I mean I get that they have their philosophical differences with Andy Baker on reducing volume for older people as discussed in the Volume Sensitivity thread now, but I do think it's possible to go YOLO too far the other way and give out young people standards as immutable, why/when to alter should be added if they have a version 2. Even at <=@8 RPE, if you do like 8-12 sets of squats+deadlift variation, wouldn't that be almost as high stress as the TM VD that is supposed to be cramming most the weekly volume into 1 day?

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast