starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Starting to build a home gym - Looking for advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    For what it's worth, the York Legacy plates on York Barbell's website seem to be reasonably priced even compared to the Troy plates on Adament Barbell's website if you're getting a lot of weight for a first time home gym builder.
    I'll jump in and vouch for Troy's PO/HO plates. I bought almost 800 lbs last month. They are a great value. The fit is VERY tight on the bar. Last I remembered, Yorks are a bit loose compared to Troy.

Additionally, try getting a quote from dumbbellbuddy.com. I was able to get $1.15/lb compared to Adamant (I believe he quoted me $1.30-1.35ish).

The Troy plates have completely killed my desire to buy Rogue's calibrated discs. I realize they are apples to oranges, but for a non-competitive lifters home gym......the discs would have eaten up money that could be better spent elsewhere (though still in the gym).

(double post)
    Last edited by fevzay; 08-17-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by fevzay View Post
    I'll jump in and vouch for Troy's PO/HO plates. I bought almost 800 lbs last month. They are a great value. The fit is VERY tight on the bar. Last I remembered, Yorks are a bit loose compared to Troy.

Additionally, try getting a quote from dumbbellbuddy.com. I was able to get $1.15/lb compared to Adamant (I believe he quoted me $1.30-1.35ish).

The Troy plates have completely killed my desire to buy Rogue's calibrated discs. I realize they are apples to oranges, but for a non-competitive lifters home gym......the discs would have eaten up money that could be better spent elsewhere (though still in the gym).
    Thanks for sharing! The black plates look very cool. I assume your quotes included shipping?

Thanks for sharing! The black plates look very cool. I assume your quotes included shipping?
    Mine are black. They have a great look.

Sorry...I should have clarified. I was lucky enough to pick up semi-locally (from Troy warehouse in Houston, TX), so I didn't have to pay shipping (or tax even since dumbbell buddy is outside of TX). I know Adamant has free shipping on $500+ orders right now. You could start there and try to get a better price per pound if its a large order. I believe the option to ship from dumbbellbuddy.com was around $100-120 (for 775 lbs).

Another option would be to hold off until Black Friday to see if anyone drops the price back down to $1.15/ lb w/ free shipping (Adamant did last year).

For what it's worth, the York Legacy plates on York Barbell's website seem to be reasonably priced even compared to the Troy plates on Adament Barbell's website if you're getting a lot of weight for a first time home gym builder.
    This is a good tip. Even with shipping, 3 pairs of 45's is a whole $100 cheaper than going through Adamant Barbell for the Legacy plates.

How much space do you think I should leave between the back of the rack and the wall? Keep in mind my room is 8'3" wide by 13' long. I'll be bolting down my rack along the long wall. I went with the Rogue R3 (figured I'm going to have this for ever). So the outside depth of the rack is 30". The room is 99" wide. So now I'm left with 69" inches. I was thinking 12-16" from the wall I'd install the rack. So if I do 16", now I'm left with 53" of usable space.

I'll probably end up squating outside the rack with spotter arms and a monolift. I will probably be deadlifting and doing power cleans in this space. And there is a chance I might want to bench on the outside posts with monolift.

With that in mind. Is 53" enough? Or should I bolt the R3 closer to the wall? thr only reason I was thinking 16" is if I was benching inside the rack and someone was spotting me. It would give enough space for someone to slide behind the rack.

What do you guys think I should do?

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    How much space do you think I should leave between the back of the rack and the wall? Keep in mind my room is 8'3" wide by 13' long. I'll be bolting down my rack along the long wall. I went with the Rogue R3 (figured I'm going to have this for ever). So the outside depth of the rack is 30". The room is 99" wide. So now I'm left with 69" inches. I was thinking 12-16" from the wall I'd install the rack. So if I do 16", now I'm left with 53" of usable space.

I'll probably end up squating outside the rack with spotter arms and a monolift. I will probably be deadlifting and doing power cleans in this space. And there is a chance I might want to bench on the outside posts with monolift.

With that in mind. Is 53" enough? Or should I bolt the R3 closer to the wall? thr only reason I was thinking 16" is if I was benching inside the rack and someone was spotting me. It would give enough space for someone to slide behind the rack.

What do you guys think I should do?
    Replied in the garage gym thread.
    Last edited by hollismb; 08-19-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Can You Also Tell Me The Best Software For Automatically Capitalizing Every Word? Using Shift All The Time Is Getting Old.

Wow, Sharon Knows A Lot About Home Gyms!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Wow, Sharon Knows A Lot About Home Gyms!
    Boy Howdy.She Sure Does. Thanks Karen!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567