starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: realistic Expectations for a 13 Year Old Athlete

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My son trained for a while at 13, then for a while at 15, and is again training now at 17.

His interest in lifting comes and goes, but each time he takes it up again, he's older and lifts more.
    This time I think he'll pass my squat (but not my deadlift or presses) pretty soon. He's built for squatting, strong kid.

Anyway, my expectation for a 13yo athlete is that they won't stick to lifting very long, but will probably come back to it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Awesome response; thank you for taking the time
    Hey, any time. Let me know how things go. I'm always looking for new tips.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    My son trained for a while at 13, then for a while at 15, and is again training now at 17.

His interest in lifting comes and goes, but each time he takes it up again, he's older and lifts more.
    This time I think he'll pass my squat (but not my deadlift or presses) pretty soon. He's built for squatting, strong kid.

Anyway, my expectation for a 13yo athlete is that they won't stick to lifting very long, but will probably come back to it eventually.
    I'm thinking she'll stick with it. She is already making comments about how she is better at basketball, gets less tired and occasionally, she looks a the teenager boys and makes comments to me such as "daddy, he isn't going to depth", or "daddy, I can't believe I can squat more than that boy". If I can get her to stay until she is a intermediate level trainer, she will already have a HUGE advantage in school sports. I think there are VERY FEW JV girls at intermediate....certainly a lower percentage than in the boy's sports. Plus, she seems enamored with having big, athletic looking legs. Time shall tell....

Conrats to your boy! Getting old sucks, ha? If SS existed when I was 16, I would have been a much better athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Hey, any time. Let me know how things go. I'm always looking for new tips.
    Turns out amazing advice. I put it into practice on Saturday. Daughter was discouraged doing 85 pounds for 2 sets of 5 because she has the appendectomy in July and it set her back. I made a deal with her. If she gave me excellent effort reps, I'll put the 25's on for her last set and she only had to do 3 reps. She NAILED them. Then we went to bench and her work weight was a grind. I said that we can switch to 1 work set and strip 5 pounds off and do 2 back off sets of 3-5 reps (up to her) but the caveat is that each rep had to be controlled to the chest, slight tap and EXPLODED up. She hit 2 sets of 3 with amazing bar speed on the way up.

Conrats to your boy! Getting old sucks, ha? If SS existed when I was 16, I would have been a much better athlete.
    My kid follows the family tradition of avoiding sports. But he's by far the strongest music nerd at his school. Always gets the male lead (or villian) in musicals, bass section lead in choir, does a good Sinatra.

And in great demand for setup/teardown after a show, as he can carry the most folding chairs at once.

My kid follows the family tradition of avoiding sports. But he's by far the strongest music nerd at his school. Always gets the male lead (or villian) in musicals, bass section lead in choir, does a good Sinatra.

And in great demand for setup/teardown after a show, as he can carry the most folding chairs at once.
    He'll get a shit ton of chicks later on in life

He'll get a shit ton of chicks later on in life
    He's popular with the ladies at school, to be sure.

Why no presses? A bunch of benching w/o presses can lead to shoulder issues. Shoulder strength is obviously important for basketball (fighting for rebounds, passing the ball, etc.).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    A bunch of benching w/o presses can lead to shoulder issues.
    Quick! Someone tell Baraki his shoulders are going to get the aids! (lots and lots and lots of people only bench and never press, and never have shoulder issues)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast