starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on How to Progress!!!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    WOW!!! Did my workout today (last of the 3 day week) and I have to say it felt incredibly easy. In fact, I reached personal bests in everything with ease: squat 95kg 3x5, deadlift 115kg 3x5 (no straps), Overhead Press 42.5kg (5,5,4 - Fail). I'm pretty confident if I had got more sleep the night before my ohp would have succeeded, but I'll accept a one rep miss as a success considering I have been struggling a lot the past few days. All I did was change to full fat milk gallon drinking a day and eat a lot of food to go with it - 4750 calories worth (with the milk). If my future workouts will be like today I should fly through Starting Strength .

I went out drinking a bit tonight though(Spirts and diet cokes), not a lot but enough to get tipsy. I have two days off until my next workout so I really hope I haven't ruined things by doing this. I'm currently gulping down pints of water to hydrate my body. Anyway I am going to continue up to 100kg the way I am going. 2 days ago my first squat rep at 95kg felt like the 5th rep I did today at that weight. Amazing!!

I have just one question: I'm off to university this September and obviously a lot of drinking is going to be involved. Right now I am willing to stay off the nights out from now until then, but does anyone have any advice on a way I can drink while avoiding the impacts it may have on strength?? I love strength training soo much, but also do want to have fun from time to time on nights out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Khanthebrit View Post
    I have just one question: I'm off to university this September and obviously a lot of drinking is going to be involved. Right now I am willing to stay off the nights out from now until then, but does anyone have any advice on a way I can drink while avoiding the impacts it may have on strength?? I love strength training soo much, but also do want to have fun from time to time on nights out!!!
    Getting totallyshitfaced, staying up too late getting shitfaced, and doing stupid shit while shitfaced are all potential problems, but moderation is entirely possible. Just take into account that you are going to be getting more empty calories, which, if you obsess about your girlish figure and try to adjust for, will probably fuck your training up more than a few drinks on the regular while accepting a little potential chub from the extra calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    Thanks, going to start reading this right after this post.

Just thought I'd update my progress: unfortunately a stall at 97.5kg Squats and 52.5kg Bench Press. Annoying but at least I know it's because I haven't gained any weight. I lost 0.6lbs in 1 week . Quite surprising because I have been eating over 4000kcal for definite every day of the last week. At least writing a log and monitoring my progress has helped identify the most likely reason for my stalls.

I'll be eating at 5000kcal for the next week to see the net gain of weight in the next week (or even net loss). I eat a lot.... I'm 200lbs already and started extremely weak at 174lbs (couldn't bench or OHP the bar), but seem to be losing weight 4000cal+ diet. Is this common for people my age (19)?? Reading the article eating at the sticking points have given me hope!

I find it odd that a 200# guy couldn't press the empty bar. What's your body fat percentage? It's normal for us chubby guys to lose weight initially...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    I find it odd that a 200# guy couldn't press the empty bar. What's your body fat percentage? It's normal for us chubby guys to lose weight initially...
    This was back at 174lbs. The 24lbs I've gained have brought me up to my current stats. I don't know how or why I started out so weak, I was surprised myself during my first workout. My body fat is probably at 20% from looking at image diagrams of the difference percentages, but I wouldn't say I look fat at all with clothes on. In fact, I wouldn't say my bodyfat has gone by up that much since I started: same belt hole, same waist size etc. I want to gain strength desperately so obviously still want to gain weight. I plan on cutting for an aesthetic body in the Summer. The one thing I get annoyed at is the skinny guys lifting more than me, kind of acts as motivation just to get stronger and stronger and stronger. But yeah, it didn't help starting out weak but my weakness is what has motivated me to persevere and never give up!
    Last edited by Khanthebrit; 08-22-2017 at 05:55 PM.

It sounds like you are adjusting calories correctly to get the results you want. Good luck dialing it in...

As a frame of reference, I gained 9kg in about 13 weeks at 5'10". At 6'2" you should weight substantially more than I do. Losing weight is about the easiest thing in the world when you have the mental toughness to do starting strength. Don't worry about it and eat enough to get bigger and stronger. Worry about the fluff later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    As a frame of reference, I gained 9kg in about 13 weeks at 5'10". At 6'2" you should weight substantially more than I do. Losing weight is about the easiest thing in the world when you have the mental toughness to do starting strength. Don't worry about it and eat enough to get bigger and stronger. Worry about the fluff later.
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you weigh before and after? Also, do you know how much your lifting went up by with that weight gain?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanthebrit View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how much did you weigh before and after? Also, do you know how much your lifting went up by with that weight gain?
    I'm about 6'1 and weigh about 230. That's a 40lb weight gain in about 2.5 months. Strength, especially on the upper body lifts, has increased tremendously, although so has everything else. However, you need to make sure your technique is solid. Weight gain will definitely help you. But so will good technique. So be sure to go see a coach if u can and post form checks here. You still need to gain weight. Enjoy college man! But understand that alcohol can mess up your recovery and thus your lifting, at least it does for me if I do it consistently. So just keep that in mind if you see your training going to shit and you've been drinking a lot then you'll have some decisions to make. I'd rather hit my goals in the gym than worrying about putting down lots of booze, but that's more of a personal goal thing, which at 19 your goals may be different and you may not care as much about training as you do about other extracurricular activities

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast