starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Beastie

Default Project Beastie

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've been doing CF for about 2 years now. In the past 6 months or so, I've been lucky enough to get coached by Kelly Moore and have been discovering the joy of watching my strength progress.
    I'm keeping a training log on CF's boards, but Kelly suggested I start one here, so here goes!

I'm doing 5/3/1 with the extra work- hill sprints, car pushes, more to be added I'm warned.

Tonight did squats
    130x5, 135x3, 160x1.
    160 was easy.
    Then I tried a 20 rep to see what it's all about.
    115x20. Um... was pretty easy.
    Kelly loaded the bar with 130 and didn't tell me. Did that for 12. I could have done more, but I was kind of worried about where it'd end up after the previous work. 12 wasn't too bad either....

Btw-I'm 39/f/140ish/5'4".
    Last edited by stef; 02-23-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Oh yeah- Kelly said I look like I belong in a lifting gym now. That's a big compliment coming from her.

You should have seen me about 6 months ago doing 105x5. Snicker. Guess I had no clue what heavy squatting was about.

I am training with the intention of getting into a raw meet and hopefully going to nationals this year.
    Last edited by Aikislacker; 01-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Sounds like you're progressing nicely, keep it up!

Thank you. Honestly, the progress is surprising the hell out of me!

So, I'm glad I refused to do 130 for 20 on the squats yesterday, because the soreness is settling in right now!

Today's work-
    Deadlift 175x5, 185x3, 220x1. Boy. I surprised myself because that 220 came up easily! It felt like 195 used to feel. 225 when I hit it last was a slow grind. This was easy. I am really shocked. YAY 5-3-1!

Bench press- 100x5, 105x3, 125x1. The 125x1 was a slow grind. All but the first 100 were touch and go. I think the bench part of my program is approaching the point where I will fail some reps.

That 220# pull was amazingly easy. I know Camille had five solid reps with that weight. Very solid work that is paying off big time. Her lifts and appearance have changed dramatically since I first watched the 105x5 squats six months ago.

I admit to being surprised as we opted to deadlift the day after squatting due to time/travel issues (I would not usually agree to doing that, but it will be a while before I can watch her lift again). I need to find her a meet and get her competing!

Yeah I usually wouldn't do that either, but I knew I wouldn't get anything done Monday.

Turns out nothing Tuesday or Wednesday now either : (

Well, Tuesday night I did this:

Row 500, rest 2 mins for 4 rounds.

Times- 2:09 (damper on 4), 2:09, 2:12 (damper on 7), 2:11. Wanted to hurl afterwards. I kept crashing right around the 1 min mark. At one point in the first round, the monitor read a pace of something like 1:40. However, I wasn't paying attention to it and discounted it as an error, so I will look for that again the next time I try this. No way I could hold that pace though.

My stroke rates were like 30 on the damper of 4 and high 20s on 7.

I have a damn cold and feel like crap. Under a LOT of stress right now. Didn't eat much yesterday....

Going to have to squeeze in squats late tonight. Good thing it's a deload week.

Are you not going for max reps on the third week of the cycle? Just wondering. Always interested in seeing how different people use the 5/3/1 program and how it works for them.

No, Paul I'm not. My coach, Kelly Moore, has gone over the program and wants me to stick to this scheme with no max reps. Although I talked her into working in 20 rep squats every do often. Hit me on the head now! I honestly can't remember her rationalization for not going with the max reps.

This is a deload week, and boy do I need it! Lots of stress, a cold... low sleep... not good.

Squats-
    115x5
    120x5
    125x5
    They didn't feel as light as I'd like, but they weren't bad.

Then did

2 rounds, not for time (couldn't find a stopwatch in the gym)
    Walking lunges (1 trip across the gym) with a 10k kettlebell in each hand
    Broad jumps with the Power Jumper (2 red bands, then 1 red band) one trip across the gym
    Row 200M

Oh yeah- saw 146 pace on the rower for a short period on first round, 1:49 on second. Couldn't keep it up more than like 20 secs though.

Definitely had me panting and sweating. I felt like the big dork in the power jumper, though that thing makes jumping hard! Of course there were like 6 people in the gym tonight. It's usually empty! :wtf:

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Aikislacker View Post
    Well, Tuesday night I did this:

Row 500, rest 2 mins for 4 rounds.
    thanks for the inspiration, I did exactly the same this morning. Short, intense and interesting.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Nice. Yeah, that was a little buttkicker!

Noticed the other day that my right thigh is 1.25 inches larger than the left. Whoopsie. I know I have a tendency to use my right leg more when I get tired or things get heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast