starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding the over 50 lifter

Default Regarding the over 50 lifter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I was surprised by the number of guys over 50 that bombarded you with questions on a recent thread. At 58 I thought I was the oldest guy on the forum, but there might be some even older. I was wondering about the possibility of having a forum specifically for people over 50 where we could discuss the issues that are unique to us and that wouldn't interest the younger crowd. Maybe a survey could be taken to determine if there is sufficient interest to make it worthwhile.

This is just food for thought and there's obviously no need to post this on the forum. Keep up the good work. Those interviews you've been doing are terrific.

Phil Jackson

P.S. Maybe you should start thinking about a book directed at the older weight trainee. I think it's a growing market.

If there is enough interest we might put up a forum, but I doubt there is a book there. After all, squats are still squats.

I've gotta say, it's inspiring as hell that y'all are at it, or still at it, with the barbells. I know or have known plenty of people over 50 or 60 (or 70, even) who still remain super active, and was disabused of the notion of any of these ages necessarily being "old" in the pacified, frail sense of the word. But it still gets me psyched. I hope to God or Zeus or the Tao or whatever that I am still rippin' heads off when I'm 50+.

I would be interested in an ongoing discussion for seasoned lifters.

That would be interesting because I would like to hear what other over 50lifers have found what works for them. I have followed SS but found there are times when I need an extra day or two of rest between workouts especially as the weights keep getting heavier.

I'm 26, but I'm working on training my 50y/o mother in law, trying to get my 56y/o mother involved, too. They have various injuries and ailments and a forum for the rest of you geezers would be great to help get some discussion of their issues.

I'm an old, and retirement is gonna be in the next 3-5 years. I want to be able to play hard after I'm through with Corporate America.

I would like to see some discussion about over 50. I am having some squat problems that I think are because of being too ambitious and from inability to recover sufficiently.

I'm 39 and a spot for the master lifters would be terrific. After reviewing 6 months of my log book it has become apparent to me that I am closer to a master than I am to a junior.

Here's my vote for a master lifter section.

My principal issue right now is maintaining the proper balance between eating, diet, bad fat-retention (I should say gut-retention), and gaining LBM.

Things would be so much easier if I had young-man T-levels... alas...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If there is enough interest we might put up a forum, but I doubt there is a book there. After all, squats are still squats.
    Rip, maybe not a book but what about an article?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast