• starting strength seminar october 2024
    Update, just finished week 7 of SS.

Height 5'4"
    Weight 140 lb

OH 95 lb 1x5 1x4 1x2
    BP 140 lb 1x5 1x4 1x4
    DL 190 lb 1x5
    Pull-ups/Chin-ups, BW+33 lb 5/5/5

A couple of weeks ago, I failed badly on squats at 135 lb. I posted videos of deloaded squats, and there were comments about minor problems but nothing serious. Right now I am trying to clear up some lower back pain and I'm working on my form in the range of 65 - 105 lb.

I am not getting 5 reps on OP and BP, but the effort doesn't exhaust me the way squats did. OP and BP are heavy, but squats felt like the were just wrecking my body.

I don't want to stay too light, but I don't want to load up and injure myself.

How do I get back on track?

Presses etc dont bust the CNS the same way heavy squats do, it sounds like this might have somthing to do with your diet, maybe you're not eating enough?

In any case, squats are always going to be more exhausting than Benching or pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmd View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I failed badly on squats at 135 lb. I posted videos of deloaded squats, and there were comments about minor problems but nothing serious. Right now I am trying to clear up some lower back pain and I'm working on my form in the range of 65 - 105 lb.

I am not getting 5 reps on OP and BP, but the effort doesn't exhaust me the way squats did. OP and BP are heavy, but squats felt like the were just wrecking my body.

I don't want to stay too light, but I don't want to load up and injure myself.

How do I get back on track?
    DMD:

Have you transitioned to a low-bar squat yet per the other thread?
    Did you correct the bar position?
    Are you wearing shoes (even old chuck taylors or hard-soled work boots are better than socks)?
    What about shifting your schedule to the advanced novice or TM schedule?

These above comments were all actually pretty significant (vice minor issues as you stated) and have a big impact on ability to progress, and are only magnified by age.

I have changed to low bar.

Still no shoes, but I'm on a non-slip surface (I did the video on wood for a better view).

As far as advance novice or TM, I don't know. I am open to doing a different schedule, but I'm not sure what would be best. I want to take another run at squats, but don't know what a good starting point would be, or how much I should increase the load each week.

As far as advance novice or TM, I don't know. I am open to doing a different schedule, but I'm not sure what would be best. I want to take another run at squats, but don't know what a good starting point would be, or how much I should increase the load each week.
    OK, for what it's worth, it seems obvious that 3x/week was way too much for you. Not a big deal, but a good data point. If you aren't in a hurry (and I can't think of any good reason why you would be) I would simply transition to Texas Method. Rip specifically calls this out for Masters lifters as a much more adaptable method with respect to recovery, and it would certainly be better than where you were at. Maybe a little conservative, but who really cares, as long as you progress and minimize risk of injury, right?

Given your last BS attempt, maybe try this for week one (moving Volume and Heavy up 5 lbs a week to start, then maybe microload at 2.5# if you really feel the need when it gets pretty hard).

Volume: 105x5x5
    Light: 85x5x2
    Heavy: 125x5x1

As for pressing, I'd start with:
    SP: maybe deload 10% to 85; BP stay at 140 then come back up in 2.5# increments, following the TM press process to come up.

DL: keep up the 5# increments and what you are doing there, looks like it's working.

Chin/Pullps - same here

Make sure you are eating and resting enough, and I'd drop a few bucks on some shoes, they make a big difference, and don't have to be hugely pricey to help.

What do you think?

Thanks, Greg! Looks like a plan.

Just to clarify, would I still squat 3 times per week?
    Monday > Volume
    Wednesday > Light
    Friday > Heavy

I am going to try OP one more time at 95, and figure I'll deload 10% per the SS program. I'm taking the same approach with BP. Agree with what you said about DL and pullups.

dmd-

i'm same height as you and when i started last july i was 136-137lbs . now im 155. im still progressing on DL and squats-my OHP is stuck at 80-85 depending on how i show up. my BP is progressing 2lbs per month. im at 125.

Are you doing rack work? that made the difference for me i was able to go 40-60 lbs heavier on dl and squat using 1/2 range movements. it would strengthen your tendons and ligaments but also you get to feel what a far heavier weight would feel like and imo its either muscle memory or confidence that kicks in when you add another 5-10 lbs for a full execution of a lift and you can break into new territory.

Thanks, Greg! Looks like a plan.

Just to clarify, would I still squat 3 times per week?
    Monday > Volume
    Wednesday > Light
    Friday > Heavy

I am going to try OP one more time at 95, and figure I'll deload 10% per the SS program. I'm taking the same approach with BP. Agree with what you said about DL and pullups.
    yep, although the light day is really no work, only serves to move the body, stretch the muscles/keep the neuro-response, and encourage blood flow for recovery

starting strength coach development program
    I saw your video and it didn't look like there is anything that would cause them to be wrecking your body. You certainly have good upper-body strength to be able to do 15 BW+ chins.
    And what is wrecked? legs? ass? back?

Maybe you should post another video which shows your low-bar squats with a PR-level of weight which may highlight form-issues.