starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method Over 50 lifter and other questions

Default Texas Method Over 50 lifter and other questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

I was thinking of posting this question on the "new forum", but as it applies to the Texas Method in general, I will post it here.

Here is a Texas Method training program that I am considering:

Monday-Volume
    Squat (moderate)
    Bench Press/Overhead Press (alternating from week to week)
    ???/Deadlifts
    Dips/Chins

Wednesday-Recovery
    ???/Squat (really light)?
    Bench Press/Overhead Press (alternating)
    Row/Power Clean/Other

Friday-Intensity
    Squat (heavy)
    Bench Press/Overhead Press (alternating)
    Deadlifts/Row/Power Clean/Other/???

I have noticed that many posters on the web seem merely to be copying and pasting the same same article and routine over and over again, so they haven't been much help. I am trying to create a routine that meets my needs for general strength training and fitness as well as my time constraints.

Here are my questions.

One, if over 50 lifters should not squat 3x per week, what would you suggest for the Wednesday routine? No squatting at all, squat really light (say 50-60% of RM), or some other exercise (if so which would be a good replacement?)

Two, you have suggested that deadlifts should not be performed in sets across. It would seem that they may best be performed on Friday with the intent on setting a PR. But in PP you suggest doing DLs during the volume training on Monday. Would you still suggest the DLs during the Monday training for an over 50 lifter?

Three, I read in another post where you said something like, "at least he isn't doing barbell rows." Do you not like BB rows? I've seen other poster recommend power cleans. If not power cleans, is there some better alternative.

By the way, thanks also for creating the new forum, and thanks for your input to my questions here.

One: If over-50 lifters should not be squatting more than 2x/week, I'd suggest dropping the light day workout. This would be the most obvious option, and I've mentioned it here before.

Two: The Monday-From-Hell workout in the conventional TM is to get it all over with so that recovery can begin and be complete by the next Monday. This may not be the best option for you, depending on time and recovery. Try it and see.

Three: My opinion on rows has been beaten to death on this board, as SEARCH FUNCTION reveals. Cleans may work for some masters guys, but for most without a prior training history and skill in the lift it often proves to be too hard on the joints and tendon attachments. Just don't do either and you'll still be training hard enough.

Rip,

Thanks for the advice. I will adjust the routine accordingly.

I may still do a couple of sets of very light squats on recovery day and see how they feel over time. If I see symptoms of overtraining, I can eliminate them.

I have not performed many cleans in the past, primarily because my wrist flexibility is somewhat poor and my arms are longer than average. I just can't get the bar to rest on my shoulders and keep my elbows up. I will probably start with somewhat light weights and work my way up to heavier weights.

Rip,

Just moved to TM after stalling on SS novice, so just for clarification on the 2X per week squats for the over-50 set (I'm 56) below is the TM variation I've incorporated:

Sunday
    Volume
    3x5 Squats
    3x5 Bench/Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Tuesday
    Recovery
    No squats
    3x5 Press/Bench
    3xFailure Chins
    3x10 Back Extensions

Thursday
    Intensity
    Squat 5RM
    Bench/Press 5RM
    3x5 Weighted Chins/Rows

Your comments/advice?

Thanks.

Hoegie, this is a program similar to the one I used when I was able to go to the gym three times a week. IF you can you may want to do some leg work on the recovery day. I found 20 minutes on an elliptical machine for some cardio work helped me. Good Luck.

Hoegie, I'm 58, been on TM a year, love the program because 1) it works and 2) lets me spend a couple hours in the gym over the weekend to do my volume day, and gives me more flexibility on the recovery and intensity day schedules. Still workin' for a livin', don't think I can commit to a 4 day/week schedule, but I manage to fit 3 into my work/travel schedule pretty consistently.

Couple of tweaks to the TM that I've found work for me:

- Moved deadlifts from the volume day to intensity day during the OP cycle. I just have more juice at the end of a low volume day, and I figure hey, the DL is intense, right?
    - 8x2 sets of power snatches on volume day instead of power cleans, which I could just never get to rack due to poor flexibility. Not giving up on improving power yet.
    - Squat with an EMPTY Bar on recovery day, 3x12-15 reps. I do it to stretch the hammies and glutes, not as resistance training.
    - Gave up on the 1x5 squats on Intensity day, instead shoot for a double, then a triple; add 5 lbs, repeat. Found this helps leave me feeling in my legs for my Saturday morning tennis match.
    - Also gave up 1x5s on the presses on Intensity day, depending on how much time I have go for either 3 or 5 singles sets across. Then, after the last single, drop the weight and do 3x8 backoff sets w/ 30 seconds rest to try and add some upper body mass (credits to Justin Lascek's The Texas Method.
    - 3 sets to failure chins and dips at body weight on the volume day, 3 sets chins and dips weighted to failure on intensity day. Not that I get a lot of reps in, but I've found the weighted chins and dips are ramping the number of reps I can do on the volume day.

Have fun, and good luck!

jimk,

What else are you doing on recovery day beside the empty bar squats? I like the idea of the backoff sets after presses on Intensity Day...you do that with both your bench and OH presses depending on the week, correct?

starting strength coach development program
    Correct, on Intensity day I go for the heavy singles with the either the OP or the BP, depending on the cycle, then do the high rep - restricted rest sets on that same exercise.

On my Recovery day, I actually start off with a 5k row on the erg, it just feels so good to stretch everything out, it is no impact, and it gets me a little cardio. Then I squat with the empty bar, do either 2x5 bench or 3x5 OP, and do reverse curls 3x8, I found they cured my tennis elbow three years ago and have prevented a reocurrence ever since. I finish up with either 3 sets of hanging knees to chest or 3 sets of kettlebell swings. Clearly not a lot of heavy volume, but a good amount of folding, bending and stretching.

One other point, on both the press and bench press, I make progress because I microload with Platemates in 1.25 lb increments, on both the Volume and Intensity days.