starting strength gym

Thread: Squats and Flexibility

Default Squats and Flexibility

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was wondering if any of my fellow AARP members have found that squatting has increased their flexibility? Although Rip cautions against squatting 3x a week, I find that a very light squat session maintains my flexibility more than if I skip the session. Have any of you noticed the same pattern?

Thanks

Absolutely. My flexibility has increased considerably, in the shoulders as well.

I'm not sure Rip 'cautions' against 3xweek squats for the oldies, I think he says to just beware of over-training and recovery issues. I am still squatting 3xweek.

I think your light-squat mid-week session is a good idea.

I've been working on my form and flexibility, while finishing reading SS@, having flexibility that is akin to rigor mortis, I look forward to starting up on Monday and hope that I become more flexible as well.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlybuck View Post
    I've been working on my form and flexibility, while finishing reading SS@, having flexibility that is akin to rigor mortis, I look forward to starting up on Monday and hope that I become more flexible as well.
    The squats themselves will increase your flexibility. You also might want to get into the 'third world' squat position with your elbows inside your knees pushing your knees out. Do this a few times a days trying to extend the time you're in the bottom position. Every time you have to squat down for some reason do it this way rather than on your toes.

You probably already know this, but ease into training with light weights the first 2 weeks or you might find yourself barely able to walk for a few days after squatting. (Personal experience ).

Thanks, El Viejo, I've been working out for about 18 months, but have jumped from program to program, never really getting much accomplished. I have avoided squats and deadlifts, because all the "experts" opinions of them being hard on the back and knees. I plan on starting light, on both, to help with the flexibility, but also because I slightly dinged a groin muscle while trying to improve my flexibilty, I figure starting real light will give that time to mend, besides, upping the weight every workout will eventually get me to where I should be.

Quote Originally Posted by minadi26 View Post
    I was wondering if any of my fellow AARP members have found that squatting has increased their flexibility?
    Thanks
    Yes, a little bit. I can now reach my toes again while keeping the legs straight, something that I was losing the ability to do. And the 'third world' (why the name ?) position that El Viejo describes is now quite easy.

As for shoulders, though I have always had good mobility thanks to volleyball (and swimming), I've lost some of it now. This is mainly because both shoulders and upper back are now a bit thicker. I used to be able to put my left hand behind the back, and reack to it with the right hand going behind my neck (and the other way round), but nowadays this is far more difficult.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    And the 'third world' (why the name ?) position that El Viejo describes is now quite easy.
    The term 'third world squat' came from the title of an article on T-Nation. The reason it was referred to that way is because in most third world countries that's the position people assume when they're doing something close to the ground (eating, working, shooting the breeze, taking a dump, etc.). Watch any toddler and you'll see that they'll automatically squat down flat footed to play or look at something on the floor. I honestly never noticed this with my kids, but now that I'm aware of it I see my granddaughters doing it all the time. Somewhere along the line we in the developed countries stop doing it. Probably because chairs are so readily available.

Thanks El Viejo, got that now.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    The term 'third world squat' came from the title of an article on T-Nation. The reason it was referred to that way is because in most third world countries that's the position people assume when they're doing something close to the ground (eating, working, shooting the breeze, taking a dump, etc.). Watch any toddler and you'll see that they'll automatically squat down flat footed to play or look at something on the floor. I honestly never noticed this with my kids, but now that I'm aware of it I see my granddaughters doing it all the time. Somewhere along the line we in the developed countries stop doing it. Probably because chairs are so readily available.
    LOL funny I used to do this when I was a teen/20 something, I did in bootcamp as I shined my shoes and people called me Haji for sitting like that. I can still get down that way pretty easily .

When I was younger I used to think getting big would hurt your flexibility, but now I realize I was wrong. Muscles are pretty darn elastic and are rarely the limiting factor for flexibility. Ligaments on the other hand are quite taut and usually are the culprits. And yes my squats have been doing a good job of stretcching me out,

starting strength coach development program
    minadi26, I had bad knees, a bad back and a bad shoulder. Squats as suggested in the SS program did wonders for me. I believe squats fixed the knees and back. Rotator cuff exercises helped the shoulder , which helped my bench press and military press. At 59 I still sweat doing squats but I can't deny the joint improvement. Starting Strength is a great program, I mix it with cardio as a warm up.