starting strength gym

Thread: The Ultimate Strength Exercise II

Default The Ultimate Strength Exercise II

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Bill Starr

"[E]ven if you aren’t interested in using isos in your own program, learn how to do them so that you can teach others somewhere down the line. In my mind, it’s the ultimate strength exercise and it’s in danger of being lost. That can’t be allowed to happen."

Article Post

Resources Page

Very nice! I was excited to see the conclusion after the first article.

My reading to date says that strength training is generally specific. That Concentric, Isometric and Eccentric training do not have significant training overlap. i.e. increasing isometric strength does not increase concentric strength AND that isometric strength is positional in nature, Again I read something about 15 degrees if I remember correctly.

So this leaves me with the question of Why and When do I want to train/develop isometric strength rather than concentric strength in an athletic or strength program?

Another possibility is that my reading on strength specificity is shit but it would require the rewrite of quite a few textbooks.

So again in what context do we want to develop an athletes isometric strength? What are we training for?

Default programing with isos

How would one go about implementing isos in a typical isotonic program like the texas method?, I would think they go better on intensity day since they are more of a neural stimulus, but what is everyone else's opinion? I would like to see an example of some programming options...

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by RobertFontaine View Post
    So again in what context do we want to develop an athletes isometric strength? What are we training for?
    Possibly we are trying to get better at holding our backs flat during a pull, which is an isometric function. Or when position-holding ability is important, and I can think of lots of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by mccaulleyg View Post
    How would one go about implementing isos in a typical isotonic program like the texas method?
    You wouldn't. TM is an intermediate-type program and these are obviously a more advanced exercise, as Bill implies in the article.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-06-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Mark,

I think in Starting Strength you mention the potential benefits of partial reps for getting past sticking points but you warn against overuse due to the potential tendonitis that this could lead to. Would a similar warning apply to this isotonic program?

Also, how would one implement this type of program for the squat? Isn't the bottom part of the squat the hardest part and the most likely sticking point for the move. But to press up against a pin would mean you would have to start from the bottom part of the squat which would be very awkward indeed. I think in Starting Strength you mention doing partials for squats by starting normally and just taking the bar down to the desired sticking point. However, Bill seems to emphasise the importance of pressing up agains the pins as hard as possible to get the best out of the exercise? What would you recommend?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You wouldn't. TM is an intermediate-type program and these are obviously a more advanced exercise, as Bill implies in the article.
    What would be wrong with an intermediate with perennial problems such as failing to keep a flat back on pulling exercises or if they always fail at halfway using isometrics to target the weaknesses? Is there anything that makes it particularly unsuitable for anyone but advanced trainees?

starting strength coach development program
    Correct me if I'm wrong but from my intuition Bill and the others didn't get strong through isos. They got strong-ER so we shouldn't worry about em unless we have a chance for totaling elite.