starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Embarrassing low weight on squats

Default Embarrassing low weight on squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm stuck so far on 65 lbs on squats (second month of SS, 43 y/o woman, former cardio gal per name). This is also what I'm benching, having started with just the bar. Deadlifts have been progressing okay, did 125 for the first time yesterday for 5 reps, not the prettiest at the end but did them. Press is going up slowly, started with the 35 lb bar now at 50 lbs, but I expected that as it is upper body.

Squats, being lower body I thought would progress much faster. By stuck I mean during the last work set (and all three are hard) my form breaks, tilting forward and to the side a bit. This is so frustrating! Any suggestions?

Welcome,

More of the usual info is needed:

height, weight, weight gain since starting SS, daily caloric intake, daily grams of protein.

To lift more weight, you need more muscle, and that takes protein and calories to build.

cheers,
    Bowdirk

Ideas

1. Give yourself a pass on form unless you are sore after squatting. As you get stronger, the form issues might go away.

2. Post a video for a form check.

3. If you are really struggling with the third set, try doing only 2 sets for a couple of weeks.

4. Work on air squat form. Practice doing sets of 20 without the bar, and make sure that you have the form really dialled in.

Thank-you. I didn't mention weight/ calories because "if you are already fluffy around the belly you have created the condition for growth" (Rip, Clarification article, p3) and because the other lifts are progressing, just not squats. 5'7" 161 by the way, 2000-2500 cals which is maintenance for me.

One other thing is, I seemed to progress ok with high bar squats (got to 75 lbs) then got the book and switched to low bar so am wondering if that has something to do with it. Bodyweight (air) squats below parallel are no problem, can do 2 sets of 50 easily.

I have a camera, but how do you get over the feeling of self-conciousness with someone filming you at the gym? It's already weird enough that I'm camped out at the squat rack, but I can deal with that. The camera seems like taking it to a whole new level.
    Last edited by xcardiobunny; 10-12-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add stuff

Sounds like you should post a form video. You seem to be having some kind of problem with balance. Are you uncoordinated by chance?

I think your form is wacked. Something's not working right, because you should definitely be getting stronger and going up in weight.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Sounds like you should post a form video. You seem to be having some kind of problem with balance. Are you uncoordinated by chance?
    I will post one when I get the nerve to make it. As far as coordination goes, it depends. I picked up skiing immediately last year (it was great!), and can inline skate, wear high heels all day no problem. Hand/eye stuff like pool, catching a ball is different, very uncoordinated at that. Are you suggesting some work on the Bosu ball? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by xcardiobunny View Post
    Are you suggesting some work on the Bosu ball? :-P
    No need to get offensive.

Just checking... my girlfriend is a clutz (could not handle a day in high heels) and she's managed to squat without falling over, but the form is tough for her to learn. She did fall over doing Yoga and sent an old lady to the hospital.

edit: no need to be nervous to post a vid. The internets are anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by xcardiobunny View Post
    43 y/o woman
    Why is this posted in "The Elderly"?

43 years old:

43 years old:

This study conclusively shows 43 years old is far from elderly. This study indicates 43 might be when women peak. I will keep an eye on the situation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    no need to be nervous to post a vid. The internets are anonymous.
    Has this line worked for you before?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast