starting strength gym

Thread: How do you feel in the morning?

Question How do you feel in the morning?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And I don't mean do you have a hangover!

Most mornings after workouts (especially if I am pulling), I find I'm pretty tight and sore in the glutes and lower back. I usually loosen up pretty good (relatively) after walking the dog and my morning coffee. I feel fine most evenings after lifting and the requisite time delay before bed.

Anyone else experience this/something similar that seems "age-related"? Solutions/Ideas?

I'm pretty stiff in the morning. (In one sense, that's great, as I don't need HRT yet.)

I get up, poop, and typically take a 20 - 45 minute walk and do some stretching and foam rolling. That and a warm shower and I'm good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    I'm pretty stiff in the morning. (In one sense, that's great, as I don't need HRT yet.)
    Huh, I hadn't really thought about it that way. Is morning wood really a good indicator that your testosterone is up to snuff? Hell, I usually have wood even when I wake up in the middle of the night to go pee. WTF? 34 years old, here.

Sorry to derail, Greg C. As far as how I feel in the morning, usually groggy and a bit stiff. I usually have to spend a few minutes motivating myself to get out of bed.

As for muscles, about the only thing that seems to get really sore consistently is my traps. It's weird. Pretty much everything else has adapted, although I'll still get a little DOMS there occasionally, but traps are an exception.

(Just realized this was posted in "The Elderly." I probably don't really count as that, yet? Anywho....)
    Last edited by phynnboi; 10-16-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phynnboi View Post
    (Just realized this was posted in "The Elderly." I probably don't really count as that, yet? Anywho....)
    With any luck, someday (later, vice sooner) you'll be here.

You guys are pups! Wait until you hit 60. I can't speak for others in my age group, but the "wood" does not end any time soon. Since we're headed down this dirt road, I'll just add this ooolld joke; "What's torque?"

"Torque is when you get it bent down to take a piss in the morning, your feet fly out from underneath you".

I heard that joke nearly 40 years ago. To this day, my wife of 33 years still thinks it's the funniest thing she's ever heard.

Oh, and by the way, my back almost always feels at least a little impaired when I first crawl out of the rack in the dark each morning. THos has become a staple of my life for the last 10 years.

starting strength coach development program
    "Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way."
    — Charles Bukowski

I never was a morning person. I hate getting up at 5:15 a.m. I can get 10 hours of sleep and feel like shit in the morning. My body aches are minimal for the most part. My problem is my sinuses. They've gotten worse with age. With the post nasal drip, I start hacking and coughing like a coal miner who smokes 3 packs a day. This lasts for about an hour and only on weekdays.