starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken toe!

Default Broken toe!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I trained Saturday, squat, bench, deadlift day. The toe incident was last night (Sunday night). I'm wondering if it will be okay to train w on Tuesday. Obviously I am going to see how it feels but curious if anyone else had this experience and if they took time-out from training.

It won't hurt your press :-) No need to stop training altogether. Back extensions, chins, presses, bench & silly bullshit to fill the time...

Sorry bout your toe... my girlfriend has broken all of hers at least once each.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Sorry bout your toe... my girlfriend has broken all of hers at least once each.
    Not to derail, but... dare we ask how?

Bunny, sorry about your toe.
    Last edited by Kate; 11-08-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate View Post
    Not to derail, but... dare we ask how?

Bunny, sorry about your toe.
    Thank-you Kate! Curious about MM's girlfriend's toe issues too. In my case, it was a frozen beer mug falling out of the freezer on it. A friend advised me to wait a whole week- and not do standing movements. (He has broken all of his toes too at one time or another) That isn't going to happen. I'm going to see what I can do as soon as I can get a shoe on it. There is a pic of it on my blog that's linked here thru the profile page if you care to see.

I absolutely don't want to see your mangled, crooked toe... bleh!

Well, the girlfriend is a clutz. The most recent toe - the last one to be broken - she put down some luggage when she arrived at a friend's house, proceeded to trip over it and kick a wall. Then after the immediate shock settled she went to the washroom and kicked the door. She has MANY similar stories. The funny thing, though... when she breaks a toe now she just shakes it off and tells me not to fuss about it... meanwhile my hair is on end and I'm flipping out because she just busted her toe.

In general, you can't do shit about a broken toe. Hospital won't even splint it. You can try taping it to its neighbor and making sure you keep your weight on your heels.

i have broken several toes, at work, playing w my kids, etc. each time i tape one to the other...it heals up within some weeks---4-8 wks total.
    it has never affected my ability to lift weights, however it did affect me while doing some conditioning drills that i was doing at the time (burpees). pushups were no problem, as was jumping rope, and running hills.
    tape the toes, ice the fracture. it will heal.
    hope this helps...
    V

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I absolutely don't want to see your mangled, crooked toe... bleh!

Well, the girlfriend is a clutz. The most recent toe - the last one to be broken - she put down some luggage when she arrived at a friend's house, proceeded to trip over it and kick a wall. Then after the immediate shock settled she went to the washroom and kicked the door. She has MANY similar stories. The funny thing, though... when she breaks a toe now she just shakes it off and tells me not to fuss about it... meanwhile my hair is on end and I'm flipping out because she just busted her toe.

In general, you can't do shit about a broken toe. Hospital won't even splint it. You can try taping it to its neighbor and making sure you keep your weight on your heels.
    You don't have to look! This post cracked me up so thanks for that. Okay, going to train tomorrow if I can walk w the shoe on. Maybe this will even help 'remind' me to keep my weight back. Good lord 4 weeks is a long time but if lifting works out I can spin for cardio and it shouldn't be too much of a setback. Thanks Vivek.

Hello former rabbit,

(I used hello bunny last time, so I needed something different).

I broke the little toe on my right foot many, many, many years ago, on the beach. We were playing football (ie Soccer for the people across the pond) and both a friend and I went for a tackle. He was stronger, and took the ball away. And the foot that stood behind it, which was mine.
    As a result, the toe bent a bit to the side.
    I had to go to hospital, and ended up in the operating theatre to have the top of the bone grounded and filed, as it was too small to try to put it straight.
    The worst bit was just before the op, when the nurse came around to clean the skin cut I had at the base of the toe, which had filled with sand.
    He simply put a bit of cloth between the little finger and then neighbour, and started moving it up and down, as fi cleaning a shoe (Matt, are you still with us ?).
    I hated the nurse quite a lot for that.

After the op I remember I could not walk properly for a while, feeling the sticthes pulling every time I tried to roll on the ball of the foot.

You might get a better mileage out of your fracture, but don't be disappointed if you can't do every lift.

IPB

oh

mah

gawd.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello former rabbit,

(I used hello bunny last time, so I needed something different).

I broke the little toe on my right foot many, many, many years ago, on the beach. We were playing football (ie Soccer for the people across the pond) and both a friend and I went for a tackle. He was stronger, and took the ball away. And the foot that stood behind it, which was mine.
    As a result, the toe bent a bit to the side.
    I had to go to hospital, and ended up in the operating theatre to have the top of the bone grounded and filed, as it was too small to try to put it straight.
    The worst bit was just before the op, when the nurse came around to clean the skin cut I had at the base of the toe, which had filled with sand.
    He simply put a bit of cloth between the little finger and then neighbour, and started moving it up and down, as fi cleaning a shoe (Matt, are you still with us ?).
    I hated the nurse quite a lot for that.

After the op I remember I could not walk properly for a while, feeling the sticthes pulling every time I tried to roll on the ball of the foot.

You might get a better mileage out of your fracture, but don't be disappointed if you can't do every lift.

IPB
    Holy Shit. I trained today- attempted to train is more accurate. Guess what? Toes are pretty damn important. Today was squat, press, clean day and it sucked. Normally, when I am disappointed in a lift (squats!) something else is better with a PR or just fun like cleans. Not today. My left side felt like it was zapped by kryptonite and my cleans and presses were pathetic, left shoulder drooping and acting like I'd never done it before. A couple of weeks ago I added straight-leg deadlifts to this day to add hamstring work as I think my weak core is preventing squats from challenging the big muscles its supposed to. Those were lame too.

This was the first time I finished lifting on a low note, may as well have stayed on the elliptical.

That hospital experience tells me to stay the hell away (in addition to the fact that I'm breaking the law and haven't purchased insurance yet). Feel free to take a gander at my toe and say what you think, it's more swollen and purple today but never was crooked.
    Last edited by xcardiobunny; 11-09-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: trying to fix spelling on fake words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast