starting strength gym

Thread: Disc osteophytes causing sciatica

Default Disc osteophytes causing sciatica

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    45 yr old male. Sciatica started after squats about 3 months ago. Have not been able to train since. CT scan showed disc osteophtyes at L5/S1 protruding on the nerve. Physiotherapy has not helped, NASAIDS help a little. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to help this?

When i was 59 I ruptured and disc in my lower back that lead to severe sciatica in my left leg. I could hardly get out of my barcalounger for 5 weeks. The only thing that helped was chiro visits 2-3 times a week. I had a young chiro who was into crossfit and weight lifting. He used all kinds of gadgets to help break up the muscle spasms which were the major source of pain. I also had a lady who would do really intense deep tissue muscle massage. It was the type of massage that made you whimper. Similar to Rolfing and Hellerwork. The chiro worked the spine and she worked the muscles. After 3 months of the worst pain in my life I started SS with ridiculously light weights to get the complete range of motion back. Now I'm 60, downhill skiing, mt biking and doing a 5-3-1 training regimen because of the recovery aspects. My back is not an issue in any way now. I still visit the chiro and massage lady about once a month. Kind of like frequent oil changes for my old truck. The money spent on those visits are so worth it. Much better than drugs. I had an MRI taken that showed a lot of bone spurs. I worked with a trainer that was certified by Rip who made sure my form was proper. I have not looked back. Squats have saved my life, no kidding.

I had sciatica for much of my early twenties, caused I believe by poor squat form. It got to a point where standing up for more than 5 minutes was uncomfortable. Ironically, it felt best when I was working out. I did try physical therapy to no avail. It wasn’t until I saw a chiro that the discomfort went completely away, but I recall it took at least 2 months of me going 3-4 times a week. Got to be pretty expensive. I am now 36 have not had pain for around 10 years. Alas, my squat form has improved.