starting strength gym

Thread: A Strong Start

Default A Strong Start

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Bill Starr

An exercise consists of three parts: start, middle, and finish. I’m often asked which of the three is the most important in terms of making a heavy attempt on one of the primary movements. The answer is all three play critical roles, but the start has the greatest influence on the outcome when doing a lift with a heavy poundage.

Article

Resources Page

Default Difference of toe angle in pull

Coach Rip, thanks for posting this great article by the way. I have a question regarding foot placement during a pull. On a previous post you talked about a poster on the wall of your gym called the "perfect pull" step 1, states "Take your stance, feet a little closer than you think it needs to be and with your toes out more than you like. "
    In Bill Starr's article in paragraph three he states to have feet at shoulder width pointing forward. My question is, does it make much of a difference if there is a difference at all with feet straight or pointed out? Or is it just a matter of preference? Thanks Coach

I think it matters, yes. Bill and I coach the pull differently.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

Since I post my Power Clean video i've seen this come up again and again: "I’ve also watched lifters set their hips quite low, then just before they commence the pull, their hips rise up several inches. They would be smart to fix their hips in that higher position to begin with and get rid of the wasted motion."- Bill Starr

I think Steve in ATL will appreciate this since he's been saying this over and over again the last few weeks.