starting strength gym

Thread: Platform: The Split Snatch with Tommy Suggs

Default Platform: The Split Snatch with Tommy Suggs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Watch it here

A living legend. Tommy is awesome!
    I actually feel honored for the opportunity to watch this.
    Very usefull cues and tips.
    Many thanks for the video.

Good stuff!

One question on the split snatch. More out of curiousity since i don't split on my snatches...

...but if you lose the bar forward in a deep split, is there any danger of you dropping the bar right across your leading thigh? And just thinking of it right now, if you lose the bar behind, could you drop it on your trailing leg?

Sure. Heavy lifting is fraught with danger. How do you manage your fear when you split jerk heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sure. Heavy lifting is fraught with danger. How do you manage your fear when you split jerk heavy?
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain"
    -Dune

"your best friend is a guy named Frankie Fear. You see Fear is a fighters best friend you know, it aint nothin to be ashamed of, you see Fear keeps you sharp, it keeps you awake you know what I mean it makes you want to survive, you know what I mean. But the thing is you gotta learn how to control it alright, cause Fear is like this fire alright, and it's burning deep inside, now if you control it Tommy, it's gonna make you hot! Or if you see if this thing here controls you... it's going to burn you and everything around you up. Thats right." - Rocky V

Well, I normally quickly move my leg out of the way, because my split isn't so deep as to actually bring my hip below the top of my knee. Also, if I have pitched it in front, it makes it easy to move back out of the way since the weight is not on top of me.

starting strength coach development program
    I've rarely seen people lose split jerks backwards, unlike snatches. Also, looking at old photos of split snatches, people seem to drop lower, making it harder to bail out. Though I imagine losing a jerk backwards would be more likely to cause shoulder injury, because the narrower grip would make it harder to let go.