starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gray Hair and Black Iron

Default Gray Hair and Black Iron

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Has anybody here bought the book, "Gray Hair and Black Iron" by Brooks Kubik. If so, is it worth the 35 bucks to buy it? It's specifically directed at us, the adult lifter. I just finished listening to a podcast interview of Kubik and it sounds interesting, but I'd like to get the opinion of somebody who has read it before buying it.

I bought it and read it. I can't remember what it said, and I can't find it now, but I seem to remember that I liked it.

Sorry for the useless answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Padron-McCarthy View Post
    I bought it and read it. I can't remember what it said, and I can't find it now, but I seem to remember that I liked it. Sorry for the useless answer.
    This means that you are fully qualified to post on this forum. Ahhh.......I forgot what I wanted to say............Oh, now I remember, thanks for the response, the fact that you remember liking it is a step in the right direction. I'm the same way with books and movies.

I think I'll just take the plunge and order it. It's got to be better than the stupid article I just read in a magazine while my wife was shopping. It was for the over 40 crowd. 1st it explained all the benefits that weight training offers the older person. Then it goes on to say, 'select a weight that allows you to do 15-20 reps without overly exhausting yourself.' WTF!!! That's the kind of advice I'd expect to get from the family doctor who doesn't have a clue about weight training, but not from an exercise publication. What's with these people that think we are delicate little flowers who can't exert any kind of force? Personally, anything over 5 reps for me is getting into cardio territory.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    This means that you are fully qualified to post on this forum. Ahhh.......I forgot what I wanted to say............Oh, now I remember, thanks for the response, the fact that you remember liking it is a step in the right direction. I'm the same way with books and movies.

I think I'll just take the plunge and order it. It's got to be better than the stupid article I just read in a magazine while my wife was shopping. It was for the over 40 crowd. 1st it explained all the benefits that weight training offers the older person. Then it goes on to say, 'select a weight that allows you to do 15-20 reps without overly exhausting yourself.' WTF!!! That's the kind of advice I'd expect to get from the family doctor who doesn't have a clue about weight training, but not from an exercise publication. What's with these people that think we are delicate little flowers who can't exert any kind of force? Personally, anything over 5 reps for me is getting into cardio territory.
    I'd be interested in hearing your review. I think all of us here have should have a reasonable understanding of the iron part, but I'd be curious what they had to say about recovery, diet, mixing in cardio etc. as it specifically pertains to us old folks. And yeah, that whole "you're too old to lift heavy" refrain people like to lay on us is, well... getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing your review.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    Has anybody here bought the book, "Gray Hair and Black Iron" by Brooks Kubik.
    I just happened to stumble across Brooks' website a few months ago and liked what I saw, so I took the plunge and bought this book. Well worth the $$ in my opinion. So many books for older lifters are just crap. (Light weights, high reps. Don't you dare think about squatting or dead lifting. You might hurt yourself.) Brooks, on the other hand, is a hard core iron guy who, being over 50 himself, has some very good advice for those of us who aren't quite as young as we used to be. While I respect Rip and acknowledge that his books are full of useful information for a lifter of any age, I have come to terms with the fact that I aged out of the Starting Strength demographic long ago. Brooks' book, however, is aimed at guys just like me. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Brooks Kubik, eh? It looks like he reinvented himself again. This is the 3rd incarnation I know of. The first was his dinosaur training which had some merit. The second was body weight training that was pretty shaky along with his tenuous linkage to Matt Furey in that life. Now this. I haven't read it and I suppose I should refrain from commenting, but his other works gave me a significant problem with this person. I don't know how tall he is but the language he used for Dinosaur Training and associated articles along with his body weight stuff screams of someone with a Little Man's Complex. His capacity for talking shit in those works seemed to know no bounds. While Rip is not shy in expressing his views founded on experience and his own performance, Kubik would just go off on long rants that seemed to be more about telling everyone what a hard core bad-ass he was. Conveying useful information seemed to be a secondary objective. There, I've said it and I stand by it. I've gotten salty myself at 60, it seems to happen as you get older, but the purpose should be about passing on useful stuff not thumping your own chest.

Have at me if you must on this, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sometimes who you are speaks louder than what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Brooks Kubik, eh? It looks like he reinvented himself again. This is the 3rd incarnation I know of. The first was his dinosaur training which had some merit. The second was body weight training that was pretty shaky along with his tenuous linkage to Matt Furey in that life. Now this. I haven't read it and I suppose I should refrain from commenting, but his other works gave me a significant problem with this person. I don't know how tall he is but the language he used for Dinosaur Training and associated articles along with his body weight stuff screams of someone with a Little Man's Complex. His capacity for talking shit in those works seemed to know no bounds. While Rip is not shy in expressing his views founded on experience and his own performance, Kubik would just go off on long rants that seemed to be more about telling everyone what a hard core bad-ass he was. Conveying useful information seemed to be a secondary objective. There, I've said it and I stand by it. I've gotten salty myself at 60, it seems to happen as you get older, but the purpose should be about passing on useful stuff not thumping your own chest.

Have at me if you must on this, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sometimes who you are speaks louder than what you say.
    Well Mark... if the the tone of the book is as you describe, I'll give it a pass. Plus the several personal incarnations leave a suspicious odor.

Brooks Kubik, eh? It looks like he reinvented himself again. This is the 3rd incarnation I know of. The first was his dinosaur training which had some merit. The second was body weight training that was pretty shaky along with his tenuous linkage to Matt Furey in that life. Now this. I haven't read it and I suppose I should refrain from commenting, but his other works gave me a significant problem with this person.
    This is hard for me to do Vader, but the Force is strong in me. I haven't read this particular book, and as much as I have my reservations about this guy it's only fair to make that point clear. He may have "played Inna Gadda Da Vida at 78 and seen God, man" but I have my doubts.

starting strength coach development program
    He's a lawyer...................

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast