starting strength gym

Thread: Training the elderly

Default Training the elderly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi coach, I've ran a couple of searches and the best I could find is for 60 year olds in that matter, but haven't noticed a thread considering older trainees.

I recently got my grandfather into the gym starting to get him in shape and trying to give him a better and healthier life on his age(73)
    He is a novice when it comes to the gym, haven't been in the gym for lots of years, and his last time in the weight room was probably before any machines were invented and before local gyms became huge fitness hangars.
    Up until recently his physical effort were swimming twice a week and working in his garden almost every day, but he lastly he had a stroke, lost some of his left arm funcionallity and took some time to recoperate and get any basic arm movements(like holding a plate in that arm without it falling off) he was quite in bad shape after this has happend but he is getting better now.

Currently he is training 3 times a week, doing mostly standard aerobics and short, light dumbbell excersices(no longer then 35 minutes per a dumbell workout).
    Aerobics:
    Swims twice. Has a treadmill walk once a week.
    Dumbells(twice a week):
    4 sets of sitting down on a chair(around parallel, slightly higher maybe takes him quite some time per rep but getting faster), rising up, then OHP(light dumbells in his hands for the whole excersice).
    2 sets of dumbbell bench presses
    2 sets of a rowing exercise in a rowing machine
    1 set for both the biceps/triceps with dumbells

I would love it if you could bring your critique on the workout and give your own point of view with conditioning older males/females(*>70)

Another important thing is to bring back his arm strength after the stroke as better as possible, it is improving constantly(though there are some irreversible effects sadly), let me know if it would be recommended to have any sort of special grip excersice etc.

Thanks in advance
    David

There is a chapter in PPST2 that deals extensively with this topic, to avoid my having to type 4000 words here. I have moved your post to our forum for questions about this topic.