starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here are two videos of my squat work sets at 310lbs. If it matters I'm 25yrs old, 5'11, 210lbs. First video is my first set and the second is my third set. I've read SS and watched the DVD but never had anyone check my form before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1XFMRwDiZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRCMoT7ynA
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 04-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.

You're a bit too high. You need to shove your knees out more, which will allow you to sit between your legs and get deeper. Hard to tell from the video but a closer stance might help with that. Rip would probably tell you to look down at a spot 5-6 feet in front of you as well.

I've always thought my stance was a little too wide and because of that its hard for me to tell if my knees are tracking properly. I try to shove my knees out as far as I can but I think my stance is just too wide. I feel I can handle more weight with a wider stance but I think your right in that its affecting my depth. Should it feel like I'm squatting just inside my ankles/heels?

Thanks for the help.

The most obvious thing you'll feel is an intense stretch of your adductors, especially at the groin. You can feel this for yourself even with a bodyweight squat. Remember you may have to drop some weight to get your adductors strong enough to keep your knees out.

I dropped the weight back to 300lbs yesterday, narrowed my stance and filmed myself just so I could go back and make sure I was hitting the correct depth. After reviewing my sets it looks like I've got proper depth, even going below parallel on some reps. I could feel my adductors working hard.

I still find it difficult to know where a 30 degree angle is and then making sure my knees track properly (any cues that can help?). I try to approximate and then push my knees out during the whole rep. I'm probably just being too picky but I'd like to get my stance as perfect as possible and therefore have proper form. I've often thought about marking the floor just so I can always re-create correct foot placement. Have ever heard of doing anything like that? or am I getting a little too OCD about the whole stance thing.

Thanks I appreciate the help.

starting strength coach development program
    Well keep in mind I'm no expert - I only hit 315 myself a few days ago. I just chimed in cause this issue is something I struggled with myself for months. All I can tell you is that I didn't have to resort to marking the floor or whatever to consistently get my knees out and reach proper depth. It's really just a matter of constantly working on it and reviewing your form until the correct motor pattern is established. Tedious and frustrating, but very gratifying when you get it - and even when you do, you'll still have to keep on eye on your form because otherwise it can and will degrade as the weight gets heavier. Just comes with the territory if you don't have a coach. As far as simply reaching depth, just "shove the knees out" should be sufficient. Post another video.