Coach Rip/members of the forum

Greetings, I read the Mens Journal article from October that had mentioned Starting Strength as his guide and could completely identify with the author in terms of loss of strength as a trade off in functional "core" training. I purchased the 2nd ed. of SS and the video, both outstanding resources that compliment each other. I need some help, here is my problem:

I am in the military (have been for close to 20 years) and am expected to keep within body fat standards. I am by no means fat per se but could surely stand to lose 10-15 lbs of fat that has accumulated. I am currently using a paleo type diet that is working nicely.

My question is: (bracing for "you can do what ever you want but it is not SS") can i get a few METCON sessions in to assist in getting the fat off? Has anyone here had any experience on the SS program at losing fat while replacing it with muscle and strength without cardio/hiit/metcon?

i have no desire to look like a Mens Health cover model (although I would like to get rid of this spare tire) I just want to get stronger while adjusting my body comp.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Todd