starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

I'm back about a month after a six month lay off from any training. In that time I actually managed to outgrow (get too fat for) an Inzer belt it was pretty fond of so that's why I'm not wearing one. The FedEx guy should bring me a new one tomorrow.

Things I notice: I'm not as low as I think I am. I'm also wondering if I'm descending too quickly if the ascent is supposed to be roughly the same, though it doesn't seem too out of the ordinary with what I've seen in other videos. And no, I don't know what's with that hissing sound I'm making, apparently I'm an old-timey steam engine.

I'm a big fan of your work and was hoping you would take a look at my middle set of 5x220.

This post was moved down here so maybe it didn't really present much of an object lesson for Rip to provide people with, but I'd welcome any opinion on the subject. I changed the way I was squatting when I read Rip's "How I learned to stop leg pressing and use my butt" article but only recently got SS and am reading and re-reading the squat info to improve my technique.

They look all right, if they're working fine for you then there's no urgent need to change anything. That said, your knees look like they're a little too far forward at the bottom. For you, they probably shouldn't be more than an inch or so ahead of your toes.

You're not that fat, if you outgrew a belt, it means it was too small to begin with. A properly sized belt should have you start no more than 1 hole away from the center notch.

Knees are moving forward at the bottom but other than that your squats are fine.

I noticed my knees as well, I'll have to work on how far I can sit back. On the belt, I'm a little too big for a medium and a little too small for a large by that standard you used.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by williamlexcrawford View Post
    I noticed my knees as well, I'll have to work on how far I can sit back. On the belt, I'm a little too big for a medium and a little too small for a large by that standard you used.
    Your cue should not be sitting back, you should think about moving your knees out and keep them there, that usually makes the knee go forward and stay there.