starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUMB ASS moment

Lightbulb DUMB ASS moment

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    *Note to self:

1. When in a power cage, if the barbell is loaded with three 45lb plates per side, it is best, after the session is over, to remove plates from alternating sides.
    2. From a distance of approximately 5.5 feet, a falling 45lb plate will create sufficient energy to slice through carpeting and chip the underlying concrete floor. Three plates will triple the damage.
    3. Crashing heavy metal objects can create sufficient noise as to attract the attention of women and small children & animals, who otherwise would not have given a shit about what you were doing down there.
    4. Given sufficient height, a falling olympic barbell will bend, especially if there are three 45lb plates loaded on one side and and no weight on the other.
    5. 45 lb olympic plates do not bend if dropped from a distance of 5.5 feet.
    6. York olympic plates have a more durable finish than CAP Barbell plates.

Hmmm, I would have thought that someone considered elderly might have had a clearer understanding of a fairly mainstream concept like gravity

Yeah, well sometimes we forget shit. When you were around before the surface of the earth cooled, you tend to not take some of Newton's johnny come lately wet dreams all that seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Hmmm, I would have thought that someone considered elderly might have had a clearer understanding of a fairly mainstream concept like gravity
    You know, I resemble that. Some of it, anyway.

Oh, shit...I forgot:

7. Spring collars do not function under load.

Thanks for the post. Now I don't have to try that myself, as I've been dying to find out what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by hopsluvr View Post
    Thanks for the post. Now I don't have to try that myself, as I've been dying to find out what would happen.
    2 plates: OK. 3 plates: very bad. I now have two three inch incisions in my basement carpet, underneath which are 1/8 inch deep cuts in the cement floor. Would have amputated anything in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by hopsluvr View Post
    I've been curious about this, too. Specifically:

1) whether the bar would tip just enough to dump the plates and then settle back;
    2) whether the bar would be sort-of dragged down with the plates; or
    3) whether the unloaded end of the bar whould be whipped around as a high-speed whirling scythe of death.

Sounds like #2. Is this correct, Bean?

Quote Originally Posted by Hour of Judgement View Post
    I've been curious about this, too. Specifically:

1) whether the bar would tip just enough to dump the plates and then settle back;
    2) whether the bar would be sort-of dragged down with the plates; or
    3) whether the unloaded end of the bar whould be whipped around as a high-speed whirling scythe of death.

Sounds like #2. Is this correct, Bean?
    First, and for the record, this happened because I was not paying attention; I don't even remember what it was I was thinking about. Something...

You are correct; it was scenario #2.

I had 320 on the bar and had just finished my set. The last rep was hard, and I was wondering to myself if I could have passed-out if I had tried another rep. I started breaking the bar down...but got distracted with something or other. I forgot to grab a plate off the other side.
    Anyway, once I took the last 45 off the left hand side, the bar started to tip. Pretty slowly, actually, but I had a 45 in my hands, and could only watch it continue. When the bar had tipped about 6 inches, the plates started to slide, but took the bar and dragged it over the hooks, through the frame (untouched), and out onto the floor. The opposite end of the bar hit a ceiling joist after being dragged out of the cage.

Nicely described, but a video would have been even better... or a video of the gal that distracted you!

starting strength coach development program
    How'd the bar and plates fare your stroke of genius?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast