starting strength gym

Thread: Young Novice Lifters

Default Young Novice Lifters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark - could you comment on your recommendations for starting strength for a 16 year old 5'9" @125lb wrestler. What kind of progression would you use with growth plates still open etc?

Thanks!
    KM

Are you the wrestler in question? Properly undergoing the SS program requires some nontrivial amount of intelligence, common sense, and maturity that typically is lacking in 16 year olds. But, making the perhaps unreasonable assumption that those necessary qualities are present, the program is just about the best thing this person can do to improve his/her wrestling and general quality of life. This comment about the 'growth plates' is worrying. Do your homework. Also, realize that 125 lbs is very underweight for a person at 5'9", even a female. For a male, adding as much as 50 lbs or more of muscle would be more appropriate. Again, do your homework.

Drink the gallon of milk, read the book, buy the book after you read it online, and do the program - EXACTLY the way it is. As a 16 year old you're way too goddamn gullible, so stick to what COACH says. Coach is Rippetoe. He can replace your God, too.

yeah do the fucking program

I think you guys are missing out on an important part (however unhealthy and bad it might be) of wrestling. Coaches will often recommend or force people into the weight class which they have the best chance of winning, even if this means them cutting weight unhealthily to do so. This is most likely the situation the OP is in. Again, not a healthy decision but one in which is often supported and required to wrestle.

A perfect example is my father who used to wrestle in middle school highschool. He graduated highschool at a weight of 135lbs at a height of about 5'6". He was also incredibly strong for his size, being able to bench 1.5xBW for 9 reps a set. Looking back on it now he regrets having allowed the influence of his coach, his wrestling peers, and the sport itself affect him. Cutting weight at an age when you are supposed to be growing stunts growth and limits potential. Comparitively, I am 6'3" where he is only 5'8", a stark difference in height.

Choosing to cut weight is a risky business when you should be growing. Assuming that is the OP's wish and he realizes the consequences such a decision will have later on in life, so be it. That being said, there are many mature teenagers out there, and considering the simplicity of SS it doesn't require a rocket scientist to do or understand it. One simply need to be driven and to understand the proper form/technique of the lifts.

You can probably try doing SS at the recommended weights and see how it goes. If you find you are resetting and still eating plenty you may need to step down the increments. Being only 16, you do indeed still have room to grow, use it to your advantage. Be aware though, that is staying at 125lbs is your goal, you will stall much faster and more often than someone who is willing to grow.

starting strength coach development program
    I am 16 and started at 15 years old.
    My lifts have doubled and this is the best thing that has happened to me.
    But don't do the same mistakes i did.
    Don't start too heavy , practice form , and post form checks.
    I have injured myself many times , because I have neglected technique. Better to spend up to a month learning proper form than wasting three months because of an injury (which is bound to happen if you're doing things wrong).