starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning out HARD on Texas Method

Default Burning out HARD on Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi All,

So, i've ran SS twice for about 3 months each. About 5 months apart.

I got my Squat 1RM to 315, DL to 365, and Bench to 215. And then I hit a brick wall I couldn't get over. So, I figure, hey, time to switch to an intermediate training program. So, i take a week, and deload, then start running the Texas method.

I make decent gains the first week, and the 2nd week, I hit that brick wall again. Next week, back off, try and build up again, get to where SS left me, and hit that brick wall again. It's really sucking.

I eat lots, I have lots of body fat (20% ish). I sleep lots. I'm clearly missing something.

Once I get to that burned out point, I'm really slugging through the heavy days. I start seeing stars on heavy squats, and I struggle to do what I did before. I've tried dropping volume down as far as 3 sets of 5 for Mondays, but i'm still stuck.

Why isn't Texas Method running for me?

Thanks.
    --Steve

There must be something wrong with the way you're "running" it. Send a PM to KSC and ask him to help. He knows this shit.

Thanks Ripp. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

It appears KSC's private message store is full. I will try to contact him again in a day or two.

Stalling on the 2nd week? It sounds like you're starting too heavy or making too large of jumps. Give yourself some time to cruise with easy weights and adjust to the increased volume. imo

always hard to answer without details. but perhaps this is somewhere to look?...

I make decent gains the first week, and the 2nd week, I hit that brick wall again.
    what weight increases are you using? you may be being too greedy?

If you start up with intermediate the general guideline is that you hit your previous PR 4th or 5th week.

Maybe try dropping your volume day to 70% 1RM and build back up. So squats at 225x5x5, etc. Let the volume be your stimulus on Monday, not the intensity per se. If you do the calcs of what drove adaptation on a single SS workout compared to this, you'll see you're still doing over 150% in volume even at these significantly lighter weights.

For Friday, set it so that you're matching your old 5RM in week 3-4 and surpassing it after that.

I'm still testing these things myself, but everything I've seen is people blow up TM by overdoing the intensity on volume day.

How old are you?

I didn't see this until Unochamp1 had already set me straight via PM.

So, you guys are essentially right. I took my 3x5 max of 275, that had already been enough to burn me out on SS, and carried it across into TM for 5x5. Which resulted in my kicking my own ass, essentially.

Also, apparently, I wasn't actually doing the program as Ripp intended. That'll teach me to try and google up my workouts.

Here's what I was doing:

Monday:

5x5 Squat @275lbs
    5x5 Standing Press @ 105 lbs
    3x8 BB Row @ 185 lbs

Wednesday:
    3x3 Front Squat @185lbs
    3 Sets of chin ups.
    3 sets of Back Extensions

Friday:
    Go for a new 1RM on Squat, Bench, and DL, and perhaps some assistance work.

And after reading Ripp's article on TNation, I've come up with this instead.

Monday:
    5x5 Squats @ 245lbs.
    5x5 Bench @ 155lbs.
    1x5 DL @ 295lbs

Wednesday:
    2x5 Squats @ 195lbs
    3x5 OHP @ 95lbs
    Chins,
    Back Extensions

Friday:
    1x5 Squat New pr.
    1x5 Bench New PR
    5x3 Power Cleans

I think the biggest thing i've learned out of this is:

I need to get my hands on Practical Programming. Starting Strength worked so well because I bought the damned book, and it pulled me through the whole process by the ear. Then i thought I could google around for Practical Programming type advice, and I kicked my own ass thoroughly in 2 weeks.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to correct a wayward soul. The community here is awesome. If you still have a bit of patience with me, if you could critique the workout I've suggested above, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    --Steve

P.S. I'm 26. 6'2". I was 200 lbs, and fatter than I am now when I started SS. Now I'm 230, with a 1RM DL of 365. I know that's not that much for a lot of people on here, but it sure looks badass from where I'm standing. :P

starting strength coach development program
    cant you get a little more out of starting strength?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast