starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacking out after a Deadlift

Default Blacking out after a Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been following your training principles for about 10 months now with great results.

Last Sunday after a 180kg deadlift (a new personal best, no belt) I blackout or pass out. For about 0.5-1 second I was out, fell forward and hit my head in a barbell rack in front of me. This happened after I successfully lowered the barbell to the floor and was about to release my fingers from it and stand up.

So what happened, how to prevent it from happening again and most importantly can something like that happen during squats?

I’m 31 years old, 100kg, height - 190cm.

Thank you for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight View Post
    So what happened, how to prevent it from happening again and most importantly can something like that happen during squats?
    Of course it could. I'm pretty sure that's why Rippetoe devotes a nice portion to safety and proper lifting. Have you read Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training or watched the DvD?

One time I was close to something similar during squats. Shit felt so damn heavy that I had to close my eyes. If you have good spotters or a safety rack you shouldn't worry about that.

It can happen during squats, just like anything that has a forceful and extended valslava that suddenly gets released, but it is far more common with the dead. I would imagine the vast majority have experienced this (if not full blackout, at least severe dizziness) at least one time upon completion of a challenging deadlift. Just take a knee upon letting go of the bar and compose yourself for a couple of seconds and it will subside.

Ryan Long Guest

I agree with Limie but I'll take it a step farther. If I don't feel on the verge of passing out after a squat or deadlift then I know it wasn't close to a max effort. I have never felt like passing out mid-lift, only upon completion and racking or setting the bar down. Because of this I never leave the bar quickly after a max effort squat or deadlift. After I rack my squat I stay on the bar and hang on it until the feeling passes, usually within 5 seconds. If I'm deadlifting I just take a knee or two on the platform.

70sbig.com had a good post about this topic a little while back:

http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2010/09/black-out/

Quote Originally Posted by LimieJosh View Post
    It can happen during squats, just like anything that has a forceful and extended valslava that suddenly gets released, ...
    I think "suddenly" is the key here, at least in my experience. I try not to let all my air out at once.

- RACK THE BAR (if applicable). You don't want to black out and then have the weight fall on you.
    - Let your air out

and if necessary
    - Bend over (keep the blood in your head)
    or
    - Grab a knee or otherwise shorten your fall

I hear poor hydration can also be a factor. Good luck!

Having tried other methods of stabilizing myself in similar situations, I just want to say that taking a knee is the quickest and safest. Trying to grab something for support means you'll be off balance when you miss your support. If you fail at taking a knee, you have less distance to fall...

Quote Originally Posted by George_T View Post
    I think "suddenly" is the key here,
    Very much so. It's just a simple case of the the vessels not being able to change the vascular resistance quickly enough in the face of a rapid drop in intrathoracic pressure. With experience this gets matched a bit better, but as you say there is also a bit of a conscious learned skill there as well. I am not very good at the learned bit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusi View Post
    One time I was close to something similar during squats. Shit felt so damn heavy that I had to close my eyes. If you have good spotters or a safety rack you shouldn't worry about that.
    Yep, good spotters are going to really help if you suddenly black out with a couple hundred pounds on your back or over your face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast