starting strength gym

Thread: Rounding Lower Back at Bottom of Squat

Default Rounding Lower Back at Bottom of Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I saw your instruction on lower back position control and I have been paying attention to this on all 5 SS exercises. During the squat I can hold the arch firm except at the bottom, as I go below parallel. As my butt gets closer to the floor my pelvis moves forward, rounding and losing the arch. The process reverses as I drive up from the bottom (off a slight bounce). I can keep the arch firm if I stop at parallel, but I want to go lower. I am 43 y/o, 6'1" 185 with a long, narrow trunk, hence my core (just kidding, thought you might get a kick out of that), my abdominals/erectors are not strong enough to control my lower lumbar spine below parallel. I imagine you've seen this before in guys with my frame. Based on your "Abs" article from 2010 I do weighted 90 degree sit-ups 3X8 every workout. I'd love to know if you have any suggestions for correcting this. Thanks.

Hard to tell without seeing a video but if your loosing tightness either your form is fucked or you are going too low

Post a video if you want more useful advice on this.

There's a good chance that some combination of your stance, knee position, and hip position, isn't quite what it should be to facilitate a correct deep squat for you. But there's no way to tell without seeing a video.

You read Rip's Abs article and came away with the conclusion that you should do situps? The point of the article was that the abs' main function is to stabilize the trunk by maintaining an isometric contraction. They perform this role during squats, deadlifts, presses, etc. Getting better at situps won't help improve your lumbar arch situation.

My lower back rounds at the bottom because my hamstrings are not very flexible. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by the dio View Post
    My lower back rounds at the bottom because my hamstrings are not very flexible. Just sayin'.
    Same here.

i've fixed this and can now go full high bar ATG with very minimal back rounding at the hole.

That could be. My pediatrician always told me as a kid that I had "tight" hammies. He had me do stretching exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    i've fixed this and can now go full high bar ATG with very minimal back rounding at the hole.
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by DJM43 View Post
    How?
    stretching hams and hip flexors every day for the past ~6 mos. now.

also refer to mobilitywod.com

starting strength coach development program
    When you stretch your hamstrings, make sure to keep a tight lower back. If your lumbar is compromised, the hamstrings won't get stretched and you'll be wasting time.