starting strength gym

Thread: 5/4/3/2/1 tEXAS STYLE

Default 5/4/3/2/1 tEXAS STYLE

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys,
    just passed a vety sad period lately: I had a strange tendonitis in both hands and a carpal tunnel that is slowly recovering (I don't know if it was caused by the tendonitis itself) I couldn't do almost nothing.
    Ok leaving this aside, I'm coming back to my training and I tried 5/4/3/2/1 training (I like old timers' way of training).
    I wanted to ask you, I wanted to train this way but in a Texas way, something like this:

WEEK 1

Bench 5/4/3/2/1 + 2-3 back off sets x8-10 reps
    Db incline press 3x12-15
    Triceps Pressdown 3x15-20

Squat 5/4/32/1 + 1 back off set x 6-8 reps
    Deadlift 5/4/3/2/1
    Press 2x5

Bench 10x1 '1 (rest from '1 to '2 max)
    Close grip Bench 8/6/4/4/4/10
    Curl 3x12

WEEK 2

Press 5/4/3/2/1 + 2-3 back off sets x8-10 reps
    Db incline press 8/6/4/4/4/10
    Triceps Pressdown 3x15-20
    Seated Curl 3x12

Squat 5/4/32/1 + 1 back off set x 6-8 reps
    Deadlift 5/4/3/2/1
    Bench 2x5 90%

Press10x1 '1 (rest from '1 to '2 max)
    Wide grip seated press 8/6/4/4/4/10
    Lateral raise 3x15-20 '1
    Curl 3x12

What do you think?
    I cannot do chins/ pullups now since my grip strength is weaker (but strangely I can do Deadlift) in this exercise and I miss it really.

Thank you all by now!

Check out this blog. Paul Carter has a program called the strong15 and also one for size called the big15.

www.lift-run-bang.com

and click training philosophy. For like 15 bucks he pretty much explains how to run the 54321 style layout. You can look through his training post and get and idea for it.

works up to a heavy single does a amrap set and sometimes back off set.

Thanks!
    I'll check it out.

If you are posting on this forum I assume you are an adult (You didn't state your age). When I suggested to Rip that he start a forum for the over 50 lifter I never thought that the smart-ass would label it "The Elderly". I was hoping for something like "For Adults Only". Anyway, even if you are a young whipper-snapper under 50, here are my thoughts on your post.

The important thing is that you do the basic compound lifts emphasizing leg, hip. and lower back strength using heavy (a very relative term) free weights (barbells, dumbbells, and kettlebells). Your program should be some sort of periodization program with a de-load week thrown in every month or two. Do 2 or 3 exercises per workout and 2-4 workouts (whatever your adult lifestyle permits) per weeks and that's it. It doesn't have to be anymore complicated than that

Don't get too hung-up on whether it's the Texas Method, Starr's 5X5, Wendler's 5-3-1, 5/4/3/2/1, or any other sensible program. The best program is the program that you will do consistently. After 6 months or so change your program if you feel the need.

The only comments I have on your current program is loose the triceps push-down. Do dips instead. Lateral raises fall into the same category as triceps kick-backs - very little return on investment. Stick to the multi-joint compound exercises which allow you to use substantial amounts of weight through a full ROM. And don't do ANY exercise sitting down if it can be done standing.

Stay motivated, don't miss planned workouts, and you'll be the strongest old man on the block

Hi!
    I'm 45 next august.
    Your wisdom has been well appreciated...
    Thank you very much for your words, yes, I'll keep it simple and basic.
    Soon I'll post my (new) "for adults only" log.
    David