starting strength gym

Thread: When to start using a belt for squating?

Post When to start using a belt for squating?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr Rippetoe,

In your books you've mentioned (eventually) using a belt for squating is a good idea when dealing with heavy weight. Where do you think the rough mile stone is when considering using a belt for the heavy work sets?

I personally feel I can go certainly over a 100kg squat before considering a belt, correct?

FYI: I'm of average bulid, 5"11, 33yo male, training slowly with SS novice routine for about 12months. I managed a 20rep squat of 91.5 kg, then later rebooted it with 3 sets of 5reps. (I mostly started w/ 20rep 1set squat cause my gym doesn't have saftey pins for the rack, so didnt want to get near failure just-in case. ) Funnly enough, I am finding it hard to get past 91.5kg again even with only the low reps, but that's another question.

(Cheers on all the Books, I now own 'Strong Enough' along with SS and PP, all are great! If you'd like proof-of-purchase for a reply I can provider it )

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    Hello Mr Rippetoe,

In your books you've mentioned (eventually) using a belt for squating is a good idea when dealing with heavy weight. Where do you think the rough mile stone is when considering using a belt for the heavy work sets?

I personally feel I can go certainly over a 100kg squat before considering a belt, correct?

FYI: I'm of average bulid, 5"11, 33yo male, training slowly with SS novice routine for about 12months. I managed a 20rep squat of 91.5 kg, then later rebooted it with 3 sets of 5reps. (I mostly started w/ 20rep 1set squat cause my gym doesn't have saftey pins for the rack, so didnt want to get near failure just-in case. ) Funnly enough, I am finding it hard to get past 91.5kg again even with only the low reps, but that's another question.

(Cheers on all the Books, I now own 'Strong Enough' along with SS and PP, all are great! If you'd like proof-of-purchase for a reply I can provider it )
    Go read the blog posts on 70sbig.com about when and how to use a belt.

No hard and fast rule, but somewhere around when you are squatting 1x body weight.

more like 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    more like 1.5
    I was about to say precisely this.

Situation dependent. Saying that all 200# people should wait to wear a belt for squats until they have 300# on the bar is SB. You know this. Everyone is different.

Perhaps a better statement is when it starts to get qualitatively "heavy." I would define this as around when the last rep or two in a set of five start to slow down significantly or when you feel like you need/want some additional support in the mid-section to push against. Then it's appropriate to wear a belt.

Also if you have a history of lower back injuries, then just wear it starting in heavier warm-ups.

At some point you need to use your best judgement like and adult.

Never.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    more like 1.5
    This is when I started.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Situation dependent. Saying that all 200# people should wait to wear a belt for squats until they have 300# on the bar is SB. You know this. Everyone is different.
    At some point you need to use your best judgement like and adult.
    +1