starting strength gym

Thread: Tendonitis and ART

Exclamation Tendonitis and ART

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Gang,

I just want to share my experience with Active Release Therapy (ART).

I started going to a weightlifting gym in June 2010 after doing SS on my own both at home and at a local crap gym off and on for a couple of years.

I had never Snatched or C&J'd before and figured it was time to give that a shot and wanted to learn those lifts correctly.

Those lifts, as well as doing Front Squats, Overhead Squats, and High Bar Back Squats strained my body in ways I was not used to, in all of those, you have a much more vertical back position which put a different strain on the whole hip area (I guess).

Things were progressing well enough but Oct-Dec last year I had really bad pain in my hip flexors where they inserted into my pelvis... but being hard-headed, i just kept grimacing and worked through it as best I could...

I then developed low back pain that only happened while sitting in my car, after about an hour it would be excruciating.

I started seeing a chiropractor in January who did ART and he stated that my back pain was due to the tightness/scar tissue/tendonitis in my hip flexors and quads and that by working out those knots it would keep those muscles from pulling my back out of alignment when I sat. He was right, it worked.

Tendonitis sucks and it takes forever to heal. I still am not squatting as I continue to heal... but at least I can get up off the can or out of my car without grimacing in pain, so that is a good thing.

The best way to describe ART is like a very very intense massage that is really focused on busting up the scar tissue and knots, I got nice purple bruises after every session and even 'tapped' a couple of times as it was too intense.

Tendonitis is something that is more common in those of us 40 and up (I am 51) and that is why I am posting it here in the elderly forum.

So, if you are getting a pain that feels more like it is in the tendons and connective tissue than in the meat of the muscle, listen to it and address it before it become full blown tendonitis. I wish I had, not listening cost me at least 6 months of progress and over $1,000 of chiropractic/ART bills.

Cheers,
    Bowdirk

Where have you been?

I hope the rest of your recovery is speedy. How's that new job? IT guy in a winery?

Oh, and where's my bottle of wine?

Tried ART for elbow tendonitis. Didn't really help much.

Hey ColoWayne,

At the Oly Gym I go to now my coach does my programming and watches everything I do in the gym so I pretty much stopped going to any websites to try and figure this stuff and just do what he says. Sure is a hell of a lot easier...

New job is fine, title is 'datawarehouse architect' basically i get all the information from every piece of software in this 500 million dollar company and dumb it down to simple charts understandable by executives. I love it, it is a giant freaking puzzle/game that I get paid to figure out.

If you come to Cali, let me know, I will hook you up with winery tours!

Whats new with you?

Bowdirk

Quote Originally Posted by bowdirk View Post
    Hey ColoWayne,

At the Oly Gym I go to now my coach does my programming and watches everything I do in the gym so I pretty much stopped going to any websites to try and figure this stuff and just do what he says. Sure is a hell of a lot easier...

New job is fine, title is 'datawarehouse architect' basically i get all the information from every piece of software in this 500 million dollar company and dumb it down to simple charts understandable by executives. I love it, it is a giant freaking puzzle/game that I get paid to figure out.

If you come to Cali, let me know, I will hook you up with winery tours!

Whats new with you?

Bowdirk
    It just so happens that I'm going to see my dad in Campbell and my son in Monterey next week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    It just so happens that I'm going to see my dad in Campbell and my son in Monterey next week.
    Are you going to be up North near Santa Rosa by any chance? We don't have any tasting rooms down in the Monterey area. But if you go further south towards Santa Barbara you can hit up Cambria or up North we have quite a few. In fact I am going on a tour here http://www.stonestreetwines.com/ this afternoon myself, gotta know our brands!

-Bowdirk