Mr. Rippetoe,

This is my second round of SS after a work induced layoff. Previously I stalled on squats at 280x5x3 and press at 112.5x5x3. My other lifts did not stall on my last cycle.

I planned on squatting 260x5x3 today, but the first set of 260 felt really light, so I did 270x5 followed by 280x5. The last set felt pretty heavy, but I made all five. I pressed 117.5x5x3. It felt light. I intended to deadlift 335x5. 325x5 felt very heavy last week. I barely made the first rep of 335, and I failed the second rep about 2 inches off the floor. I reduced the load to 315 and lifted it one more time, but it felt like a max effort again, and I did not attempt any further deadlifts.

Is this more likely to be a recovery issue or a factor of increasing my final squat set 20 lbs over what I planned? Should I attempt 335x5 again next Monday, or should I deload? If I deload, is this closer to the first scenario outlined on page 107 of PPST2E, or is this closer to the second scenario described on page 108?

Amplifying information follows:

28 y/o male
5'7"
174.5 lbs

Previous best lifts this cycle:

Squat: 255x5x3
Press: 115x5x3
Bench Press: 190x5x3
Deadlift: 325x5
Power Clean: 155x3x5

I normally eat >170g of protein per day. On Friday and Saturday, I went out to the bars and got drunk. I didn't eat enough protein either Friday or Saturday. However, I spent nearly all day Sunday napping, ate four eggs, two pounds of grilled chicken breasts and assorted other snacks, didn't have to work Monday, and slept as long as I could (waking up without an alarm) Sunday night. I had no noticeable hangover today. Of note, I recently had some blood work done, and my testosterone total was 300 ng/dL.

Thanks for your time.