starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaning Out

Default Leaning Out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OK--did SS novice version (54, 6'1",270) got to 332 squats, 379 deads, 185 bench, 115 press.

Time to lean-out. Any advice suggestions as to what kind of program to switch to?

Diet?

Is it possible to keep strength gains?

Thanks, Bill

Well, considering your numbers are very low for a 270 lb person, yeah, it's possible to keep strength gains, and in fact it's possible to get much stronger even while losing weight.

Great!! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, Bill

How long were you on the SS program? What were your starting numbers, and your starting bodyweight? What is your diet currently like (and try to be accurate)? I noticed you didn't include power clean numbers, is there a good reason for that?

I'm not sure they are really that low for a 54 year old. Can the resident geezers enlighten us on this matter?

Starting body weight 250. Starting numbers--225 squat, 300 dead lift, 105 press, 150 bench, 105 PC. End numbers, across--332, 379,115, 185, 150. Time on program--@ 3 months, though off and on during that time. Shoulder issues and stalling at press and bench--now do narrow grip benches which seem to help. PC numbers--I don't do them often. Interesting--to me anyway--the squat and dead lift numbers are far heavier than when I was a youngster. Bench and press numbers are lower. Time has become an issue as numbers have increased requiring more rest between sets.

Diet is not terrible but not great. for breakfast I had bran with blue berries, 3 scrambled eggs, coffee. Costco hot dog for lunch. Couple of handfuls of nuts. Salmon and asparagus and Mac and cheese for dinner.

On the weekends I usually have a couple of beers (strong beers) or other alcohol and grill some red meat. And I do mean a couple--most would be 3. My guess is I simply eat too much. Oh yeah--daughter is home from college and loves to bake--so occasional weakness for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Most weekends I am on my feet most of the day--either coaching (high school and college rugby) or doing work around the house.

Looking to drop weight for fitness, and for a tournament I play in at the end of July.

Thanks, Bill

I just ran Lyle McD's Rapid Fat Loss Program and it worked great, keeping my lean muscle and dropping quite a bit of fat--it only took 12 days too.

Essentially, it's a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) where you eat ~1g/lb. of bodyweight in lean protein per day, fibrous vegetables, and nothing else. About 800 calories a day.

Mentally tough but if you can do it it's a great jumpstart and allows you to get back to lifting heavy quickly.

(Lyle used to be the nutrition guy here before he freaked the f*** out and broke off his relationship with SS.)

How the hell cam eating 800 calories a day be healthy and how the hell do you hit bw in protein with 800 calories.....3 scopes of whey is 360 cals and its like 63g of protein

Edit: sure as shit no way you lifted eatting that little those 12 days too

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    How the hell cam eating 800 calories a day be healthy and how the hell do you hit bw in protein with 800 calories.....3 scopes of whey is 360 cals and its like 63g of protein

Edit: sure as shit no way you lifted eatting that little those 12 days too
    It would be interesting if you actually knew what you are talking about.

starting strength coach development program
    1 Gram Protein = 4 Calories
    800/4 = 200g of protein,

That leaves nothing else.
    No fat or carbs? I think after 12 days he would be malnourished with no energy.

Doesn't look safe to me!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast