starting strength gym

Thread: Ok guys, it's official - I'm old

Default Ok guys, it's official - I'm old

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 40 and was making pretty decent progress on SS. Day before yesterday I hit a new PR on the squat and felt good about it. I went to deadlift and I don't know if it was form or what, but on the second warm up set with just 135lbs, I had a sharp pain in the center of my low back that hurt when lowering the weight. I couldn't really do any more and took yesterday off. It hurt and was tight intermittently yesterday if I sat the wrong way or stood too long. No pain down my legs or anything.

It felt better this morning so I decided to try light squats but couldn't get through the fourth warm up set because of pain/tightness. I did my bench and chins and stopped.

Now it hurts when sitting or standing too long. My guess is that this is sacroiliac stuff/piriformis.

Any thoughts/suggestions on whether my diagnosis is right and how to get over it? Should I take a few days off? Do some kind of stretching plus the ball therapy recommended?

It's a real bummer because I was in the swing of linear progression and I fear I've had a setback.

Thanks.

Sunil

Old? Old!!??? At 40? You're just getting warmed up. Sorry about the injury, but recognize now for certain that you need to pay more attention to warming up and form than ever. You'll be fine. A few more years and you can start contemplating eligibility for Team Geezer.

As I've read here before - age is mind over matter...if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Seriously though, I can't bounce back from workouts the way I used to. Good advice to concentrate on form and warm up more. I have to avoid these minor injuries from slowing me down.

Thanks.

Sunil

If you are not bouncing back you are probably not eating enough of the right foods or getting enough sleep or both.

What does a day in the life of your diet look like, especially pre-workout? How much sleep are you getting?

Well of course not, but the wisdom you have accumulated about what does and does not work for you more than compensates for that. Check out some of us old guys logs. For real inspiration look at Oldsters.

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalsql View Post
    If you are not bouncing back you are probably not eating enough of the right foods or getting enough sleep or both.

What does a day in the life of your diet look like, especially pre-workout? How much sleep are you getting?
    You're probably correct:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=24137

Yeah - I definitely could eat more. Working on that.

Sleep is also tough. I average 6 hours a night because of my job. I'm enjoying SS though - certainly not getting frustrated like I was when I first started and my form was really terrible. I am in awe of you guys who are squatting 2x your bodyweight and deadlifting 300 lbs. I'm not close yet, but I plan on getting there eventually.

Sunil

starting strength coach development program
    Keep pushing :-D