starting strength gym

Thread: General Guide To Training Around Injuries?

Default General Guide To Training Around Injuries?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As training around injuries is key to being successful in strength training, are there some general guidelines to training around injuries? I know some, like subbing dips for bench if benching aggravates the injury, but that is about it.

Take me for example. Right now I can't really squat because having a loaded bar on my back makes my shoulder hurt. Until I can get it sorted out with the ortho, I need to at least maintain leg and back strength if not improve it (if possible). I've been considering doing a combination of RDLs, SLDLs and a few quadricep exercises in place of squats but I have little idea about the volume or intensity to use with the exercises. This could probably be found out through experimentation, but this sort of thing is probably pretty simple to explain for someone who has extensive training history.

For example, is doing 3x5 or 3x8 SLDLs twice a week (one day for quadriceps, my posterior chain is weak and makes me fall forward on heavy squats and front squats) too much stress if there is no heavy squatting going on (when squatting heavy, more than 1x5 on the normal deadlift is considered too stressful)? What type of quadricep exercises would actually be effective in maintaining or increasing strength? I don't feel like lunges are going to do a hell of a lot to be honest.

Thanks.

There's always going to be some amount of discomfort with holding a heavy bar on your back. As long as the discomfort is manageable and isn't lingering for days after squatting or progressively getting worse, then it's not a good excuse to stop squatting. You also have to rule out the possibility that the way you're holding the bar is responsible.

So to answer your question, I think that's the bottom line, if it's getting worse, use other exercises to train around it. If it's not getting worse, then suck it up and train through it. And if there's something nagging you, always warm it up thoroughly, and ice it afterwards.

For your other question, RDLs and SLDLs probably won't do much for your leg strength. The full deadlift is good (if done correctly!), front squats are good, cleans are good, and you should experiment with high bar squats if you haven't already and see if they are easier on your shoulders. If you can get the HB squats to work, that would be the best of those options.

Have you tried high bar with a thumbs around grip? I had to switch to this because my elbow tendinitis was getting really bad.