starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elderly adaptations for strength training

Default Elderly adaptations for strength training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys, I would've thought that this would be popular information in this forum, but after searching around a bit I cannot seem to find the answer to my question. I'm currently in my early 60's looking to lean out a bit and get my strength up. I read the Practical Programming book and Starting Strength seems like a great, basic program. However, I'm just wondering if there are some basic adaptations that should be made since let's face it, I'm getting old and my body can't handle as much as a 20 year old. Maybe drop to 2x a week? Maybe increase to 8 reps instead of 5? I seem to recall somewhere (although I can't find it) either Rip or Starr saying he's increased his rep range as a result of getting older. What should I do here?

Thanks!

Look at the advanced novice program, the main difference is that it only has you squatting 2x per week (well, I think the program schedules a light squat day on Wednesday which you can probably just omit). You might just start out on that program directly. You don't want to (shouldn't, probably can't) run a program like this for a long time. You might want to look at a new program once you've had to reset the weights once and worked back up to failure. With some adaptations and starting conservatively you could then run The Texas Method for quite a while... you'll probably want to reduce the volume on volume day.
    Trying to stay on a novice type progression for a long time for us older folks is tough. It's not just the lifting but the requisite dietary demands sometimes have other, negative, health consequences.

Oh, and you can switch programs on a per lift basis too. So if you run out of gas on your pressing but are still going strong on squats, go ahead and press using an intermediate template.

Also, check out Wendlers 5-3-1. It's a very adaptable program with a slower expectation of gains.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 06-06-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Ok wow thanks Colo, there's a lot of great info there. I'm also really wondering about the rep range. You think the intensity of 5 reps is fine or should I bump up to something higher?

Thanks again!

Welcome razerbern. I'm 60 and am doing a heavy, medium, light routine 3 times a week with no ill effects. I have done 2 a weeks for years prior to arrival at this place and was encouraged to think a little bigger and do a slightly higher volume for 3 times a week. We're all wired and set up differently with varied goals so yours may differ from mine a little. I never went through the basic beginner's Starting Strength routines because I was am pretty certain that having several decades of lifting behind me I had "used up" if you will any beginner growth power. But that's just me. I also did the 5-3-1 routine for a few months and as Wayno says it is easily adaptable from 2 times a week to 4+ times a week workouts. I use reps of 3 to 5 except when I'm trying for a PR like yesterday and then obviously, I use singles. Yes, even at our age, PR's are possible. There's a growing crowd of geezers gathering here like Oldster, Sullydog, billbrownley, Callador, and bob g to name a few. There are maybe half a dozen more that my impaired short term memory just won't dredge up right now. Ask away, and we'll all contribute what we can in advice and supprt. Wayno had some good advice for you already.

Thanks for the great info. There's so many different recommended programs it can be overwhelming sometimes. I guess I'll plan on starting with the basic, regular SS and start Texas Method for lifts when I fail on each. I really like the principles of TM and it makes a lot of sense to me. I still need to check out 5/3/1 but this is my plan in the meantime.

My best advice would be to warm up thoroughly, start light and progress slowly to avoid injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by razerbern View Post
    Thanks for the great info. There's so many different recommended programs it can be overwhelming sometimes. I guess I'll plan on starting with the basic, regular SS and start Texas Method for lifts when I fail on each. I really like the principles of TM and it makes a lot of sense to me. I still need to check out 5/3/1 but this is my plan in the meantime.
    Hello razerbern. This sounds like a good approach to me. I'm 60. I started lifting last Fall using StrongLifts 5x5 program. When I got to body weight squats, recovery became a problem for me. About that time I came across Rip's SS. Wish I had had it from the beginning like you. I would have been much better off (the DVD is great too, as is PP). Anyway, I began following SS's 3x5, Mon. Wed. & Fri. until once again I had trouble with recovery. Rip recommended trying the TM. So I deloaded and started the TM 8 weeks ago and really like it. Actually, it left me wanting a little more, since Wed. is a very light day and although Friday is the max weight day, it's still not a lot of volume. So after reading an article by Broz a couple of weeks ago, I decided to add some days. I moved PC's to Tues. and do some assistance work then too and I repeat the routine on Sat. now as well. So all in all I'm working out 5 days a week MTWFSat (on Thur. I just do a few sets of body weight squats for more reps at home). So far so good. I've made some good progress and if recovery becomes an issue again I can begin by dropping the extra 2 days.

By the way, once you go to the TM it would be worth it to purchase the the Texas Method E-book at 70sbig.com. It has a lot of helpful advice on how to adjust the program.

Lot more geezers coming out of the woodwork on this thread. Good to hear from y'all.

If the OP is geting started, why not start with the basic SS novice program, and see what happens? As long as he's making gains on the squat and deadlift, keep it up. When those start stalling repeatedly, take a look at why. If nutrition and rest are where they should be, then maybe he can play with 2 days between workouts, etc.

It's still early days for me, but I'm beginning to appreciate that going from an untrained state to a more trained condition is not totally predictable, and their will be individual differences, especially for more senior trainees. Having said that, I think it might be best to extract all possible gains out of the novice program before adding more complexity.

And if in doubt, squat.
    --
    Mark

starting strength coach development program
    razerbern, I'm 51 (as of next week) and using a modified 2-day novice progression. However, I did this only partly because of my age, and partly to accomadate other vigorous physical activities that I was unwilling to give up for the novice progression (my time runs short!). Combined with my attempts to clean up my sleep hygiene and a mountain of red meat, I'm making fair gains, although certainly not what a kid would make.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast