starting strength gym

Thread: A few questions for Mark...

Default A few questions for Mark...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mark,

I'd like to start off by saying that your contribution to the training world is admirable and is second to none to say the least. I used to be a professional tennis player but had to retire due to a string of injuries, and in about 12 years of intense training, and many a fitness trainer down the line, Starting Strength has taught me more than anything or anyone I've come into contact with throughtout those years.

Anyway, I don't want to waste your time, so let us cut to the chase. As I said, I am no stranger to intense training (be it cardio or the weight room), but after suffering two metacarpal fractures in the last 2 years, one requiring a titanium plate, I've lost quite a bit of form. I'm not saying I was ever strong or ripped or whatever, tennis isn't really a sport that requires extreme strength training; I mean, my 5RMs and PRs are laughable compared to most. But, I have now decided to focus on strength training and hopefully make some huge gains.

I am 21 years old, 6'1" and 163lb
    Squat: 5RM = 165lb
    Bench: 5RM = 145lb
    Deadlift: 5RM = 180lb
    Press: 5RM = 88lb
    Powerclean: 5RM = 110lb

Yes, quite laughable, I know...SO, I have a few questions to ask you, I'll try to keep them as concise as possible:

1) With my right hand fully healed after the operation, I started working out in the weight room regularly in February of this year. I've been doing some of the principal core lifts but not as much as you describe in your books, and a lot of silly assistance work. However, I have obviously made some gains since then, although not huge. Anyway, I have now begun the SS novice program of alternating workouts A and B (A: Squats, Bench, Deadlifts and B: Squats, Press, Powercleans) BUT I have done so by immediately applying my 5RM to the 3x5 working sets of each exercise (1x5 working set for DLs) and I now feel like I won't be able to follow the progression that you described in SS (i.e. 10/15lb for squats per workout, 5lb for bench per workout etc...) Should I keep going and just eat like an animal and hope I'll push out all those reps as time passes or maybe deload to, say, 80% of my 5RM for the first workout and go from there?? Or maybe just aim for smaller or weekly progression instead??

2) After years of repeating the same movements over and over, I appear to have a size and strength disproportion in my upper body. For example, in my chest, my left pectoralis is larger and more defined than my right, which seems to be stretched tighter, as I am right-handed. It also appears that, amazingly, the right side of my chest seems to be weaker than my left. Is there anything you would recommend for me to do to close in on these disproportions of strength/size in my arms, back and chest?

I'll leave it at that for now I guess, I hope it wasn't too long

Thank you for your time Mark,
    J.D.

1. You did not start your lifts according to the recommendations of the program. So you need to back up a little to a weight you can do that allows you to do the program. Read PPST2 and do the program.

2. Asymmetries go away when you do enough bilateral work to get actually strong on bilateral movements. When you're benching 250 x 5 x 3 and pressing 185 x 5 x 3 you'll be symmetrical, and more effective on the court as well.

Thank you for your reply Mark,

I just finished reading Practical Programming and once again, I have to commend you and Lon Kilgore for some very impressive work.

I have concluded that I should probably be looking at somewhat slower progression every workout i.e. 10lb for DLs (then drop down to 5lb after a few weeks), 5lb for squats and 2.5lb for bench press, press and powercleans.

However, only one question remains. When should I reach my current 5RMs?? In other words, how much leeway should I provide for, for instance, my squats (with a current 5RM of 165lb) If I am looking at 5lb progression per workout, should I begin with 150lb workout sets and reach 165lb workout sets by the 4th workout?? Or should I reach it sooner/later??

I hate to bother you Mark, but I just want to get this right and become a beast as effectively as possible.

Thanks again for your time,
    J.D.

Hello guys,

I see that my thread has been moved, so if anyone on here has any comments or advice on my question above, I'd appreciate it greatly...

Regards,
    J.D.

Give each of the lifts about 2 or 3 weeks of room before getting back to your 5RMs.

E.g., if your squat 5RM is 165 lbs, start at about 125.