starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading Heinlein

Default Reading Heinlein

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read Starship Troopers and I'm halfway through A Stranger in a Strange Land. Do you have any favorites or suggestions for the remainder of Heinlein's work?

Thanks in advanced.

Heinlein in my opinion never exceeded Starship Troopers. I loathed Stranger because it seemed to me Heinlein had enjoyed too many psychogenics when he wrote it. Typical of the times in which it was written. I'm not Rip obviously, but couldn't resist scratching this particular itch.

Now this is the clearest demonstration of what a sense of humor you or Stef has Rip. Repetitive Injuries? Do you dislike Heinlein that much? As in, I'll only read him until I need glasses?

Apparently the forum is repetitive inquiries. But I could have sworn it was repetitive injuries! Changed recently I take?

Thank you. You have cleared this up for me. I have made this same dyslexic error myself repeatedly. It always was inquiries not injuries except when I lose lock on consonant identification. OK, now I'm on course again. Never mind.

There is still some humor to be found, as I kind of doubt that inquiries about which Heinlein book to read could really be classified as "repetitive".

Depends on which one you liked. Heinlein is often divided into early Heinlein, much of which is often labeled juvenile science fiction (that's the audience most SF catered to at the time), and later Heinlein. Starship Troopers is considered the end of early Heinlein and Stranger is the beginning of later Heinlein.

Earlier stuff is more more structured, more plot driven, whereas the later stuff gets pretty far out there and plot takes a back seat to the themes. Personally, I prefer earlier Heinlein in general, but you will find some of the same characters mentioned earlier popping up in later books which is always fun.

i'm more a fan of later heinlein. fun, fantasy driven, and weird. job:a comedy of justice is a good one.

Me, I prefer early Heinlein but really, I love most of his stuff. Yes, even the weird ones and yes, even when he gets seriously annoying. And I mean seriously.

Disagreeing violently with the author's politics, writing style and characters doesn't mean you can't enjoy the ride.

If you like Starship Troopers, I'd suggest Tunnel in the Sky. That's one I always enjoy re-reading even though it's supposedly a juvie.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
    I've read Starship Troopers and I'm halfway through A Stranger in a Strange Land. Do you have any favorites or suggestions for the remainder of Heinlein's work?

Thanks in advanced.
    Search function.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast